My favorite homemade cashew milk that’s incredibly easy to make and can be made two ways! By two ways, I mean you can either strain the cashew milk or you don’t have to. That way it makes it attainable for anyone to make. You only need a few ingredients to make this creamy deliciousness come together. I love using it for my cold brew, baked oatmeals, smoothies, pancakes, you name it. The best part is it’s basically just cashews and water so there aren’t any added gums or weird ingredients!
What you need to make homemade cashew milk:
- Raw Cashews- I love using raw cashews, and find that they’re cheapest at Trader Joe’s!
- Filtered Water- You want to make sure you’re using filtered water since you’ll be drinking it.
- Sea salt- The sea salt just helps to bring out the flavor and is always key!
- Vanilla extract- (Optional) Vanilla will just give it a nice little touch if you prefer.
- Cinnamon- (Optional) I love adding cinnamon for the perfect little spice, but sometimes I keep it plain so I can use the milk for both sweet and savory things!
- Honey/ Maple Syrup/ Dates- (Optional) If you want to go ahead and make it sweeter, you can add any of these ingredients with the measurements in the recipe below.
Tips for making it:
- You can either strain your cashew milk or leave it as is- I personally prefer it strained because it’s a little smoother. However, you can easily leave it unstrained and many do! Just make sure to blend it up really well and then just shake it up before using!
- I personally love using this nut milk bag from Amazon, but you can use whatever you have! You could even use a fine mesh strainer to at least strain it almost completely!
- I use these milk bottles and I love the look of them, but of course anything will do! I also sometimes buy Homestead Creamery milk at the grocery store, which comes in a glass bottle. Then I just keep that bottle and reuse for the same purpose!
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Homemade Cashew Milk- Two Ways
- Nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water for 2 hours or overnight
- 3½-4 cups filtered water
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract optional
- ½ tsp cinnamon optional
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup OR 1-2 dates optional
- Soak raw cashews in filtered water for at least 2 hours or overnight. This helps break down the cashews and sprout them for easier digestion. You want to make sure you don't use roasted cashews because those are already cooked. I've found raw cashews cheapest at Trader Joe's!
- Once they're soaked for long enough, strain and rinse the cashews under cold water. In a blender, add in your cashews, 3½-4 cups of filtered water (I usually prefer closer to 3½ for a creamier milk but both are great), and sea salt.
- Blend on high for a few minutes until mixture turns white and all the cashews are blended.
- Pour the milk through a strainer (or you don't have to). If you'd like to add any additional add-in's, go ahead and pour the milk back into the blender and you can add vanilla, cinnamon, and/or a sweetener! Or if you choose not to strain the milk, then just go ahead and add them in after you blend the water and cashews!
- Pour into milk bottle or jar of your choice and you're all set! Lasts in the fridge for about 1 week!½