This creamy crockpot hot chocolate is such an easy way to make hot chocolate for a crowd. Ditch the store bought mix and try this because it’s so ridiculously good! It’s so easy to make and the kids absolutely loved it. It’s rich, creamy, and full of chocolate. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream for the perfect cozy treat.
What you need to make this creamy crockpot hot chocolate + substitutions:
- Whole milk- We get raw milk from a local farm weekly and it is the BEST. We are obsessed! You can use any milk, but whole milk will definitely be the creamiest. You can also substitute with dairy-free if needed. Coconut milk, cashew milk, almond milk, etc.
- Heavy cream- The heavy cream just adds the perfect amount of creaminess. It makes it so dang good. You can substitute with coconut cream as well in this hot chocolate.
- Granulated sugar- I use granulated sugar for this one. Feel use free to use anywhere from 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup depending on the sweetness you prefer! You can also substitute with maple syrup or coconut sugar.
- Chocolate chips- I used dark chocolate chips but the options are endless. You can use semi-sweet, milk, whatever. I also love using the Lily’s brand for a lower sugar option in this crockpot hot chocolate.
- Cocoa powder- This is definitely pretty essential! Don’t skip it. Cacao powder should work fine too.
- Vanilla extract- A key to most baked goods. You could also totally add peppermint extract to make it peppermint hot chocolate!
- Marshmallows- We topped our with mini marshmallows but feel free to use whipped cream as well. I get our marshmallows from Trader Joe’s because they don’t have food dye! It’s insane that they even put blue dye in to begin with but I’m thankful that TJ’s gives affordable options! Dandie’s are also another great option if you need dye free!
Creamy Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (or 2 tbsp for less sweet)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- marshmallows for topping
- crushed candy canes for topping
- In a crockpot (or on the stovetop if you prefer), add all the ingredients except the marshmallows and candy canes.
- Whisk the mixture up and set the crockpot to low for about 1-2 hours. Stir occasionally as it's warming to get the melted chocolate mixed in.
- Serve with marshmallows or whipped cream and candy canes! Enjoy!