This cheddar cheese stuffed meatloaf is a new family favorite. It’s really easy to throw together and it’s so soft and tender. Growing up, I always dreaded meatloaf for dinner. Maybe my mom didn’t make it right (sorry Mom!) or maybe it was just the name. Either way, now I love it and even the boys tried this and liked it! It has so much flavor and is such an easy meal to throw together! We even sliced extra pieces and froze them for later for an easy meal! Hope you enjoy!
What do you need to make this cheddar cheese stuffed meatloaf?
- Ground beef- I used ground beef for this meatloaf, because that’s classic. Ground turkey would work fine too! We usually get a big pack of ground beef from Costco!
- Egg- Adding an egg just helps soften the meatloaf and make it nice and tender as well keeping it together bound together.
- Onion- The onion adds extra flavor as well as some texture into this cheddar cheese stuffed meatloaf.
- Panko- You can use panko or breadcrumbs, both work just fine! You can also make your own breadcrumbs if you want.
- Whole milk- I did our whole raw milk because I use any excuse to put it in things! It’s our favorite and really helps the meatloaf to stay nice and soft. We are obsessed with raw milk and if you’re curious if you can find some near you, you can look it up here!
- Ketchup- The ketchup adds the perfect little sweetness and also helps keep the meatloaf soft and tender.
- Spices- I did a mix of spices and it gives it so much flavor! Parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper!
- Cheddar cheese- You don’t have to stuff the meatloaf with cheese but it is REALLY good and I highly suggest it. You can also use any variety of cheese. Mozzarella, pepperjack, etc!
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf
For the meatloaf:
- 1½ lbs ground beef 85% or 90% lean
- ½ yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder pepper
- cheddar cheese
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all your meatloaf ingredients except the cheddar cheese. Mix together until well combined (don’t be afraid to use your hands)!
- In a 9×5 loaf pan, add in half the meat mixture. Add cubed cheddar cheese to the center in a line. Top with the rest of the meat and press down.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Take out meatloaf & brush the glaze on top. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the internal temp is 165F degrees.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes then slice! We paired ours with potatoes & broccoli. Enjoy!