These asian turkey lettuce cups are such an easy and delicious go-to weeknight meal! All the yummy asian flavors make the ground turkey shine. You pair it with rice and bibb lettuce for a well-rounded meal. It’s one of my favorite throw together dinners and only takes like 15 minutes tops. Sometimes the kids will eat it and sometimes they won’t, but regardless we love it!
What you need to make asian turkey lettuce cups + substitutions:
- Ground turkey- We used ground turkey and they come out so soft and delicious. Ground chicken would work well here too! I don’t think ground beef would taste the same.
- Yellow onion- The yellow onion adds a great taste, flavor, and texture.
- Green onion- The green onion goes so well with asian dishes! If you don’t have any, you could substitute with white onion in these saucy asian turkey meatballs.
- Fresh garlic- You just have to have some fresh garlic. You could substitute for garlic powder if needed.
- Fresh ginger- The fresh ginger brings such a brightness to these lettuce cups. We actually buy the frozen ginger cubes from Trader Joe’s. I pulled out two of those and let them thaw.
- Hoisin- The hoisin is the star of the show in these! I highly suggest you don’t skip it. But if you have to, you can use a teriyaki sauce or make your own hoisin.
- Soy sauce- We used soy sauce for this recipe, but you can use tamari, coconut aminos, or liquid aminos.
- Rice wine vinegar- This adds such a great flavor to the lettuce cups. You can substitute with equal parts apple cider vinegar or just water if needed.
- Bibb lettuce- The bibb lettuce is the perfect little cup for these. I suggest doubling them up because they can easily break. You could also just make these into a salad bowl with chopped bibb lettuce.
- White rice- We also served these saucy asian turkey meatballs with white rice and it was the perfect pair! You can substitute with brown rice.
If you love this, you may also love:
Asian Turkey Lettuce Cups
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 5 green onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- bibb lettuce
- white rice
- Heat a large skillet with avocado oil. Add the ground turkey and season with salt & pepper. Cook until cooked through, and then remove the turkey from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add in the yellow onion & cook down for a few minutes until it softens on medium heat.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and stir for a few minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add the turkey back in, and mix everything together. Next, add the hoisin, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, & sesame oil. Stir together & add in green onions. Cook on low for a few more minutes & then it’s done!
- Serve the turkey mixture over bibb lettuce and rice! Add a little drizzle of sriracha to the top for some heat. Enjoy!