These saucy asian turkey meatballs are absolutely delicious and better than takeout in my opinion! We paired them with white rice and green beans making the perfect easy dinner. It took about 30 minutes total to throw everything together and that includes the waiting time of letting the meatballs cook. It’d be great to make extra meatballs and freeze them too to have extra on hand whenever you need them! Add this to your dinner menu this week, you’re going to love it!
What you need to make saucy asian turkey meatballs + substitutions:
- Ground turkey- We used ground turkey and they come out so soft and delicious. Ground chicken would work well here too! I don’t think ground beef would taste the same.
- Egg- The egg helps the meatballs to bind together!
- Breadcrumbs or panko- We used panko, but you can use breadcrumbs no problem. Almond flour would also substitute fine here.
- Fresh ginger- The fresh ginger brings such a brightness to the meatballs. We actually buy the frozen ginger cubes from Trader Joe’s. I pulled out two of those and let them thaw.
- Soy sauce- We used soy sauce for this recipe, but you can use tamari, coconut aminos, or liquid aminos.
- Green onion- The green onion goes so well with asian dishes! If you don’t have any, you could substitute with white onion in these saucy asian turkey meatballs.
- Hoisin- The hoisin is the star of the show in the sauce! I highly suggest you don’t skip it. But if you have to, you can use a teriyaki sauce or make your own hoisin.
- Sesame oil- You can substitute avocado oil if you’d like. I found and organic toasted sesame oil at Trader Joe’s that is fabulous! So fabulous for asian dishes.
- Rice wine vinegar- This adds such a great flavor to the sauce. You can substitute with equal parts apple cider vinegar or just water if needed.
- Arrowroot starch- Arrowroot starch helps to thicken the sauce! It’s an alternative to cornstarch, but you can also use cornstarch if you’d like!
- Green beans- We did a side of steamed green beans, but you can choose any vegetable you’d like!
- White rice- We also served these saucy asian turkey meatballs with white rice and it was the perfect pair! You can substitute with brown rice.
If you love this, you may also love:
Saucy Asian Turkey Meatballs
For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko or breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp green onion chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tbsp arrowroot starch
- green onions the green parts chopped
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- steamed green beans as a side
- white rice as a side
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all the meatball ingredients. Combine well until everything is nice and incorporated.
- Roll or scoop out about 12 large meatballs (or smaller if you prefer) and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 13-15 minutes until the internal temperature reaches at least 165F degrees. Ours took 15 min!
- While the meatballs are cooking, add all sauce ingredients to a small pot. Heat on the stove top until starts to lightly boil. Turn the heat down a bit and constantly stir until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- When the meatballs are done, combine together the meatballs and sauce in a mixing bowl and mix around until the meatballs are covered in sauce.
- Serve meatballs over white rice with a side of steamed green beans. Top with sesame seeds and chopped green onions and enjoy!