I’ve seen recipes out there for egg roll in a bowl and they always sound so good! I figured I’d take my own spin on it! It took me 18-20 minutes to make this dinner, which is the kind of dinner that I need these days! I know we all could use some easy dinners! It’s loaded with all the best Asian flavors and so delicious! We served it over rice and will definitely be making this one on repeat!
What is egg roll in a bowl?
Egg roll in a bowl is basically what it’s called. It’s the inside of an egg bowl but in a bowl rather than in an egg roll. Simple! You could totally add crispy wontons on top or a sriracha aioli type of topping, but I wanted ours to be super simple, nourishing, and quick! It’s super easy to make, especially since I used a lot of pre-cut & pre-chopped items. Lifesaver! Hope you enjoy!
What you need to make egg roll in a bowl:
- Ground pork– We used our favorite Belcampo ground pork (you can use the code RADIANCE10 for 10% off your meat order), but you can substitute with ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground beef.
- Sesame oil- I used sesame oil to brown the meat to add to the Asian flavor. If you can substitute with avocado oil or olive oil if needed.
- Coleslaw mix- I used two 12oz bags of shredded coleslaw from Whole Foods. You can use a little less if you want, but I wanted a lot of veggie!
- Green onions- The green onions give it the BEST flavor! If needed, you can substitute with chopped white onion.
- Soy sauce- We actually love using Tamari, and typically always use low sodium. So if you’re using one with regular sodium, you may want to decrease the salt! Any soy sauce should do though: regular soy sauce, coconut aminos, or liquid aminos.
- Sriracha- Any sriracha brand will work for this! You can decrease to 1/2 tbsp if you don’t like a lot of spice. You can also omit it, but it really does add a great flavor.
- Garlic- You can use fresh garlic or I’ve recently been using the Dorot frozen garlic cubes. They are a GAME CHANGER. I found them at Trader Joe’s & they are so easy to use!
- Ginger- Same thing for ginger, you can use fresh or the frozen cubes for those as well!
- Brown rice- We chose brown rice this time, but would be wonderful with any kind of white as well!
Tips for making egg roll in a bowl:
- To make it extra quick & easy- Like I said above, I found those Dorot frozen garlic & ginger cubes at Trader Joe’s & I am obsessed. They make everything so dang fast!
- You can use more or less coleslaw mix depending on how many veggies you want– 1 One 12oz bag would be just fine as well. I just wanted a lot extra so I did two!
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
20 Minute Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 18-24 oz bag of coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- ¼ cup green onions (white parts only) chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- 1 cup brown rice
- In a small pot, prepare your rice per the package instructions.
- In a large pan (or wok), heat sesame oil. Add in garlic and ginger and saute for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add in the ground pork, sea salt, and pepper and cook until browned. Make sure to break up the pieces.
- Remove the pork once it's cooked through and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add another little drizzle of oil. Pour in the coleslaw (I used 24 oz because I wanted a lot of veggie, feel free to decrease!), green onions, soy sauce and sriracha. Cook until cooked down and tender.
- Add the pork back in and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Pour rice in your bowl, top with the egg roll mixture, and garnish with sesame seeds and the green parts of the green onions if you'd like! Enjoy!