This is the best apple crisp in my opinion! It’s the perfect ratio of crisp to apple filling! In most recipes I’ve tried, I always want more topping so I loaded it up. Perfect dessert to make for a group or even just yourself. It’s delicious, easy, and so nice and cozy. I made mine into two minis, but you can use one pan as well! Top it with vanilla ice cream for the dreamiest dessert. Enjoy!
What you need to make the best apple crisp + substitutions:
- Apples– I used honeycrisp apples for this one, because they’re my favorite. Any baking apple will work just fine! You can also substitute with other fruits as well!
- Lemon + zest- The lemon really brings out the brightness of the fruit and it’s delicious. But the zest is key, that’s what really elevates the flavor in my opinion!
- Brown sugar- I used all brown sugar for the base and topping. You can substitute with regular sugar, but I love how the brown sugar caramelizes in this crisp recipe!
- Cornstarch- I used cornstarch to help bind the apples. You could also substitute with all-purpose flour, but I prefer the texture with cornstarch.
- Cinnamon- I added a little bit of cinnamon because it pairs so nicely with the apples.
- Nutmeg- The nutmeg is optional, but gives this apple crisp a nice touch and spice.
- Rolled or quick oats- You can make my best apple crisp with rolled oats or quick oats! I used rolled oats and it took about 40 minutes to bake. If you use quick oats, it’ll likely take closer to 35 minutes to cook!
- Flour- Flour helps to create the perfect topping and bind it all together. I used all-purpose. You can definitely substitute with gluten-free flour but I’m not sure how oat flour, coconut flour or almond flour would work.
- Butter- The butter gives the best flavor and texture and holds together the dry ingredients. I’m sure coconut oil would likely work just fine, but I haven’t tried it myself. I used kerrygold butter and it gives it such a great richness to this apple crisp recipe.
- Vanilla extract- A key to basically every baked good.
Equipment I used:
- Souper Cubes Baking Dishes– I have these cute little baking dishes that I love! They’re 5in baking pans. You can use the code daddioskitchen10 for 10% off on their website!
- 9×9 Baking Pan– I used the mini dishes to make them cute and more individual, but if you don’t have that you can use a 9×9 square pan or an 9in round cake pan for this apple crisp.
If you love this one, you may also love:
Okay, let’s get to making the recipe!
The Best Apple Crisp
This is the best apple crisp in my opinion! It’s the perfect ratio of crisp to apple filling! In most recipes I’ve tried, I always want more topping so I loaded it up. Perfect dessert to make for a group or even just yourself. It's delicious, easy, and so nice and cozy. I made mine into two minis, but you can use one pan as well! Top it with vanilla ice cream for the dreamiest dessert. Enjoy!
For the apple filling:
- 4 cups apples chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ⅓-½ cup brown sugar light or dark
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or all-purpose flour
For the crisp topping:
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup packed brown sugar light or dark
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup rolled or quick oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour spoon & leveled
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
For the crisp topping:
- Start by preparing the crisp topping. Melt your butter on the stovetop or in the microwave and then add it to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add in the brown sugar and give it a good mix. Then add in the vanilla and mix.
- Pour in the oats, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt and mix with a rubber spatula until it's thick and incorporated. It should feel similar to cookie dough but less sticky. Set aside.
For the apple filling:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all the filling ingredients: apples, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and cornstarch.
- Mix until everything is well incorporated and all the blueberries are covered.
- Spray your baking pans with oil. If you're using two pans (I used two 5in), divide the apple filling between them or just use a 9×9 baking dish. Sprinkle the crisp topping all over to cover the apples.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden and the apples are bubbly. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
For Storing: Store leftovers covered in the fridge for 4-5 days. For Freezing: You can either freeze before you bake and then bake later. You’ll just thaw in the fridge and bake accordingly. Or freeze leftovers to pull out at anytime! You can reheat and enjoy!
Pingback: The Best Apple Crisp — Daddio’s Kitchen | My Meals are on Wheels
Pingback: Brown Butter Pear Crisp - Daddio's Kitchen