This chocolate chip banana bread is one of my favorite things in the world! I could probably live off of it. That’s a little extreme, but I honestly mean it. I’ve officially created my favorite go-to banana bread recipe, and it’s a family favorite. I’ve been trying to figure out my go-to recipe for YEARS, and I finally got it! Even Thomas told me it’s the best one I’ve ever made. I upgraded this recipe from my previous version in September 2019, and it’s even better! I added an additional banana, brown sugar, a little more flour, and baking powder. Hope you enjoy!!
What you need to make chocolate chip banana bread + substitutions:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well, but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, you can still keep the salt ratio in the blondies the same! Oil should work fine here too!
- Granulated sugar- Other options are white sugar, cane sugar, or whatever you prefer. I haven’t tested coconut sugar.
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives it that caramel note and adds the perfect sweetness as well as giving them that deep rich brown color.
- Eggs- Eggs help bind a recipe and really help give it taste and texture. Best if used at room temperature, but will work fine if they aren’t. I haven’t tested flax eggs as an alternative.
- Bananas- It wouldn’t be banana bread without bananas! You can use 4 small to medium sized bananas or 3 very large ones! It should measure out to about 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana.
- Vanilla extract- No baked good recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work in this recipe. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Baking soda- Helps to produce a light and fluffy and perfectly cooked cookie bar.
- Baking powder- Helps to inflate the cookies!
- Cinnamon- Adds a touch of spice, which is perfect!
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor!
- Chocolate chips- I typically use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but any kind will work! They’re also totally optional if you don’t like chocolate in yours!
Tips for making it:
- This banana bread can easily be made into muffins (pictured above)! All you have to do is pour the batter into 12-14 well-sprayed regular size muffin tins. Bake at 350F degrees for about 25-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean!
- You can easily do this recipe without chocolate chips, which is actually what Thomas prefers! Or if you do muffins, you can do half the muffins without chocolate and half with chocolate or sprinkle some on the tops like I did above! I actually crumbled up Jojo’s peanut butter chocolate bars on those muffins! THEY ARE SO GOOD! You can use the code LEX10 for 10% off on their website!
- I used this 9×5 loaf pan & this regular sized muffin pan from my favorite USA pans! I use them for everything!
If you’re looking for other fun easter treats, check these out:
Alright, that’s all, let’s get to making them! Don’t forget, ENJOY!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread or Muffins
- 9×5 loaf pan
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 4 ripe small or medium bananas mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour spoon & leveled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾-1 cup chocolate chips depending on preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with oil.
- Using an electric mixer, combine butter & sugar.
- Add in mashed banana, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Pour in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix until incorporated, but don’t over mix.
- Pour in the chocolate chips, and fold in with a wooden spoon.
For a loaf:
- Pour banana bread mixture into your loaf pan. Top with extra chocolate chips, if using. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Around 35 minutes, check bread & cover with foil so doesn’t get too browned. Let cool, & enjoy!
- Pour banana bread mixture into 12 sprayed regular sized muffins tins. You can make a plain batter and top some with chocolate and leave the others without. Up to you! Bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.