The crockpot fed us another easy dinner meal with these crockpot beef barbacoa tacos. The best part was the heavenly aroma in the kitchen as we slow cooked the chuck roast in the crockpot. We used a beautiful chuck roast we picked up from Whole Foods. We have cooked a chuck roast in the past but definitely nailed this recipe for our new go-to barbacoa tacos. This was a hit in our family and the leftovers were perfect for lunch the next day mixed in a bowl with some rice and greens. We hope you and your family enjoy!!
What you need to make these crockpot beef barbacoa tacos + substitutions:
- Chuck roast- We buy our chuck roast from Whole Foods for two reasons; one, it is always available and two, the quality is always good! Perfect cut for these crockpot beef barbacoa tacos.
- Beef broth- We use kettle and fire beef bone broth because the quality and nutrients are amazing! You can use the code DADDIOSKITCHEN for 20% off. This is not a low sodium option but if you do you use another broth with low sodium add more salt! You could probably do closer to 1 tbsp instead. Any broth works just fine, but the Kettle & Fire is amazing.
- Diced green chilis- Diced green chilis add the perfect taste of flavor and heat.
- Sea salt- We use Redmond sea salt, it’s our favorite and we use it in everything! You can use the code daddioskitchen for 15% off.
- Black pepper- Pepper is a must in most cooking! Especially in these beef tacos.
- Seasonings- The seasonings we used are our go-to’s when it comes to seasoning Mexican-inspired dishes. The combination works every time. Also, the key to the best tasting beef is LOADING up the seasoning! Makes all the difference. I know 1 tbsp seems like a lot but it makes it so flavorful.
- Lime- Adding the freshly squeezed lime just gives you some extra flavor and vibrancy.
If you love this one, you may also love:
- Easy & Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Easy Chicken Fajita Bake
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Crockpot Beef Barbacoa Tacos
For the Beef Barbacoa:
- 2½ lbs chuck roast
- ¾ cup beef broth we used Kettle & Fire, code DADDIOSKITCHEN for 20% off
- 4oz can diced green chilis
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ½ tbsp sea salt we use Redmond Sea Salt for everything, code daddioskitchen for 15% off
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- tortillas (we used flour)
- Mexican cheese shredded
- lime optional
- cilantro optional
- ½ lime juiced
- In your crockpot, add in the chuck roast, bone broth, lime juice, green chilis and all the seasonings. Mix it around to make sure the meat is fully coated.
- Set your crockpot to low and let it cook for 8 hours until it's easily shreddable. Use two forks to shred the meat, it should fall apart easily.
- You're all done! Assemble your tacos however you'd like to eat them. We did tortillas, barbacoa, cheese, radishes, a drizzle of lime juice, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Can I substitute a rump roast in this recipe?
Hi Katie, we have not tried it ourselves so I cannot say from experience. However, the rump roast and chuck roast are interchangeable. If you prefer a rump roast, and or have, I don’t think you could mess it up. All the seasoning would stay the same. If you give it a try be sure to let us know! Thanks!!
Pingback: Crockpot Beef Barbacoa Tacos — Daddio’s Kitchen | My Meals are on Wheels
Thank you for publishing this helpful guide on making crockpot beef barbacoa tacos. I appreciate the depth with which you’ve expressed the ideas; data of this calibre is invaluable to anyone interested in the topic.
Great! So glad you enjoyed and found the recipe helpful!!