Spinach and mushroom bowtie pasta is your next super easy, flavorful, and delicious dinner! It took about 15-20 minutes to throw together. This pasta is easy to make, has minimal ingredients, and is great for a crowd! It’s light, yet satisfying and has the most wonderful flavor from the buttered mushrooms. Everyone was very happy about this dinner, so that is a WIN!
What do you need to make the spinach and mushroom bowtie pasta?
- Bowtie pasta- Bowtie is such a fun pasta which is why I chose it, but you can use any shape and variety! Whole wheat, white, chickpea, etc!
- Butter- I love butter and use it A LOT. Kerrygold is hands down my favorite! You could just substitute for extra olive oil or even ghee, but butter really gives those mushrooms the most delicious taste!
- Mushrooms- Mushrooms are a great addition to a vegetarian meal, because they really add some bulk and make the meal feel more hearty. You can always substitute from something else if you don’t like them.
- Spinach- I use spinach in and with everything. It’s such a versatile lettuce and just works so well in so many dishes. It adds some nice green to this pasta!
- Olive oil– There is just nothing like some good quality olive oil. I use a ton of olive oil, because it’s one of my favorite things! Adds such a nice light yet rich flavor to this spinach and mushroom pasta!
- Parmesan– Why is parmesan SO GOOD? Cheese is essential to my living. You can use fresh parmesan, like we did, and grate it yourself. You can also buy the already grated to save even more time. Pecorino romano would work wonderfully too.
Tips for making it:
- To save time buy pre-sliced mushrooms. I mean you can totally slice them yourselves, but pre-sliced mushrooms are just always my go-to! Just seems so much easier!
- Make sure you add the parmesan right onto the fresh pasta when you pour it into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. This ensures that the parmesan sticks onto the spinach and mushroom pasta and just gives it a great distribution!
If you love this one, you may also love:
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Sauteed Veggies & Chicken Sausage
- Cacio e Pepe Shrimp Linguine
- Shrimp Penne Pasta
Spinach & Mushroom Bowtie Pasta
- 16 oz package bowtie pasta
- 16 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 6-8 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1-1½ tsp sea salt more or less to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- red pepper flakes for garnish
- To start, boil water for your pasta. Cook pasta according to package.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium heat with about 2 tbsp butter. Once it starts to bubble, add in your sliced mushrooms. Cook your mushrooms down for about 5-10 minutes until they are soft and browned.
- Halfway through, add your fresh garlic and maybe about 1/4 tsp of sea salt. Stir continually.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked through, add in the fresh spinach. If you want lots of spinach, add the 8 cups. If you like a little less, add 6! It wilts down a ton. Season with another sprinkle of sea salt (about 1/8 tsp). Stir until the spinach is wilted and cooked down.
- Meanwhile, once your pasta is done. Drain and reserve about 1/3 cup pasta water. Pour the pasta in the skillet with the veggies followed by the pasta water.
- Next, drizzle on the olive oil. Sprinkle on the parmesan. Season with about 1/4 sea salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Taste and add more salt if needed. Might need another 1/4 tsp. Mix until everything is incorporated.