These broccoli & cheddar potato skins are so good and a classic that you can’t go wrong with! They’re easy to make and the best little appetizer or side. I mean how can you go wrong with this delicious flavor combo? We absolutely loved them and I hope you do too!
What you need to make broccoli & cheddar potato skins + substitutions:
- Russet potatoes- We used russet potatoes for this one and they worked great. You could substitute with sweet potato if you prefer. I haven’t tested out with another type of potato.
- Broccoli- We added broccoli for some extra veggie and also because the broccoli & cheddar combo is just the best! I steamed the broccoli until just tender to have them nice and soft. You could even roast them if that’s what you like.
- Cheddar- I love using Tillamook thick cut sliced cheddar. Their cheese is one of our favorites and love how thick the cheese is. You could use any shredded cheddar or shred a block yourself, which is the freshest option.
- Bacon- The bacon really tops off the combo! We just cooked it on the stovetop until it was crispy, but you could also bake it in the oven! I actually love baking it in the oven and since the oven is already on for the potatoes, it would be one less to think about.
- Green onions- The green parts of the green onions are a great garnish and adds the perfect addition. Gives just enough of that onion-tasting flavor to really bring these broccoli & cheddar potato skins over the top.
- Greek yogurt or sour cream- I love using plain greek yogurt in placement for sour cream, because we aren’t big sour cream fans but we always have yogurt!
If you love this, you may also love:
Broccoli & Cheddar Potato Skins
- 5-6 small russet potatoes
- 1 head of broccoli chopped & steamed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 slices bacon slices cooked until crispy & chopped
- 3-4 stalks green onions chopped
- sour cream or greek yogurt for serving
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Wash and scrub your potatoes, and then dry.
- Pierce your potatoes with a fork a few times before baking. Place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour.
- While the potatoes are cooking, go ahead and steam the broccoli. I steamed mine and then mix it with a little butter, salt, and pepper.
- You can also go ahead and prepare the bacon by either cooking it on the stovetop or baking it in the oven!
- Let cool a little and then slice your potatoes in half. Scoop out most of the centers. Leave the potato skins on the same pan for filling and reheating! If you want to reserve the insides, you could basically make mashed potatoes by mashing the potato insides on the stovetop with butter, milk, sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper!
- When the potato skins are prepped, season with a little sea salt. Fill with the chopped steamed broccoli and cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Remove for the oven, top with crumbled bacon and sprinkle with green onions! Serve as is or with a scoop of greek yogurt or sour cream on top! Enjoy!