This 4 ingredient mac & cheese is ridiculously easy and tastes as good as a box! It also only requires 4 ingredients and the same amount of time. The kids absolutely love it and I love how simple it is! You can also use any type of cheese you prefer so it’s very versatile. It’s cozy, comforting, and a great quick dinner to have on hand. The fact that it’s 4 ingredients is so convenient and I basically always have everything on hand!
What you need to make 4 ingredient mac & cheese + substitutions:
- Shell pasta- I used shell pasta for this one to make it look like boxed mac & cheese. Of course you can use any noodle you prefer! Also, I used regular but you can use whole wheat, chickpea, whatever you’d like. Anything works for this 4 ingredient mac & cheese.
- Butter- We use Kerrygold butter always when it comes to cooking! It’s our favorite and we get it in a pack of four from Costco. I love adding in the healthy fat for the boys and it of course makes it taste delicious. You could substitute with olive oil, but it will give it more of an olive oil flavor.
- Whole milk- I used our local raw milk, but you can use any milk you want. We recently signed up for raw dairy from a local farmer and we LOVE it. There’s so many amazing benefits to raw dairy, but the main thing I love is that it’s supposed to be easier to digest and I do notice a difference for myself personally! If you’re interested in the benefits or curious about what it is, HERE is a good article about it!
- American cheese- I used American cheese for this recipe to make it extra creamy and taste more like boxed mac & cheese. We always use Boar’s Head when it comes to any sliced cheese or meat! You can use another sliced cheese or grate it in your own. Cheddar works great and I’ve also done just parmesan but that’s more of a pasta than a mac & cheese! Just use whatever you or your kids like the best!
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
4 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked pasta
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 2-3 slices American cheese (or about ¼ cup cheese of choice)
- sea salt & pepper
- In a medium pot, boil water with sea salt.
- Add your pasta and cook according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- To the pot, add the milk and butter and mix together. Pour the pasta on top.
- Add in the chopped American cheese. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Mix until everything is melted together. Serve and enjoy!
- *Note– This makes enough for about 3-4 servings for kids depending on how much your kids eat! You can easily double it to have extra!