Look no further, this is the best crockpot chili! This will be your new favorite chili recipe, because it’s so dang easy. You just “set it and forget it” minus the chopping and seasoning! It’s loaded with tons of spices and flavor, meat, beans, and veggies. The recipe is based off of our beef chili recipe which is a true crowd pleaser. We simplified it for the crockpot and now there is no need to cook haha. It’s one of those recipes that’s really so simple to make and warm and delicious for the cooler months, or even summer, if that floats your boat. The real key is in the spices, making it full of flavor. Typically, most recipes will call for sautéing the meat first for added flavor but we opted out due to life quite frankly. Anyways, it’s super delicious and guaranteed to be your favorite easy chili recipe!
What you need to make the best crockpot chili + substitutions:
- Ground turkey- We don’t eat enough ground turkey and it is such a tasty lean meat. And in my opinion, it tastes the best in chili. However, you could substitute with ground beef too.
- Yellow onion- Onion is ideal in pretty much most of our recipes. It adds so much amazing flavor!
- Bell peppers- We love adding in bell peppers. They add color, nutrition, and also a nice bulk to this chili. We like to use red and green.
- Canned diced green chilis- We buy the mild diced green chilis. If you like spicy, you can buy hot, but we like it mild for the kids.
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes- The tomatoes are a classic in any chili recipe. They add flavor, thickness, texture, and extra veggies. Fire roasted tomatoes, on the other hand, take everything to the next level!
- Red kidney beans- We personally love to use kidney beans and that’s what most people use. If you want to use a mix of beans you can, but you want to make sure they’re similar to kidney beans.
- Chicken broth- We have a bunch of chicken broth from Costco so that’s what we used, but feel free to substitute with chicken stock or vegetable broth. You only use a little bit, so if you had to use water you could, but I definitely suggest broth or stock for more flavor and nutrition!
If you love this, you may also love:
The Best Crockpot Chili
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef
- 28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 4oz can diced green chilis
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 – 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 dried bay leaf
- shredded cheese
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large crockpot, add your ground turkey on low heat. You can break up the chili a little bit if you'd like but it's not required.
- Next, add in the onion, peppers, green chilis, kidney beans and fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add in the chicken broth, bay leaf and seasoning. Mix the top well until it's mixed together but don't mix the turkey.
- Cover crockpot and let cook for 4-6 hours. Halfway through stir chili. When it's done, you can break up your turkey.
- Serve in bowl and add toppings. We love to do chips, shredded cheddar cheese, avocado, lime, greek yogurt or sour cream, and cilantro. Enjoy!