This creamy chicken fettuccine alfredo is the ultimate comfort dinner! It’s surprisingly so simple to make and absolutely fantastic! Growing up, fettuccine alfredo was one of my favorite dishes to order out by far! I didn’t realize how easy alfredo sauce was to make. Making it at home tastes even better! Next time you need a cozy pasta dish to warm you up, add this goodness to your menu!
What do you need to make creamy chicken fettuccine alfredo?
- Fettuccine- We used fettuccine of course, because we’re making fettuccine! Any brand will work but our favorite hands down is Wild Grain’s fettuccine! That’s what we used here. You can’t always get it in your box, but you can check out their subscription boxes & get $10 off your first order & a free sourdough in every box with the code DADDIOSKITCHEN!
- Olive oil– There is just nothing like some good quality olive oil. I use a ton of olive oil, because it’s one of my favorite things! Adds such a nice light yet rich flavor to this pasta dish!
- Garlic- Fresh garlic is 100% ideal here. There’s nothing like fresh garlic!
- Shallot- Shallot is preferred here. If you HAVE to, you could substitute with white onion, but shallot really brings out the best flavor.
- Heavy cream- This adds the best rich creaminess to the sauce. You could substitute with whole milk or half and half if that’s what you have but heavy cream will yield the best result for this fettuccine alfredo.
- Parmesan– Why is parmesan SO GOOD? Cheese is essential to my living. You can use fresh parmesan, like we did, and grate it yourself. You can also buy the already grated to save even more time. Pecorino romano would work wonderfully too.
- Chicken breasts- We chose chicken breasts here and they pair really nicely with the creamy pasta. We’ve also done shrimp and it was fabulous as well. The pasta is plenty delicious on it’s own too if you prefer vegetarian!
- Parsley– Adds the perfect fresh green touch to the top! You could also use basil, but we prefer parsley for this creamy chicken fettuccine alfredo.
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
For the Pasta:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted or salted
- ½ medium shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- crack of black pepper
- ¼ cup pasta starch water
- 6 oz fettuccine
- fresh parsley for garnish
For the Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 lb) sliced in half to make thin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½-1 tsp sea salt
- ½-1 tsp pepper
For the Chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. If you're going to make the chicken, slice chicken breasts in half to make them thin.
- Heat a cast iron with avocado oil. Once it's heated, place in the chicken breasts and season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook chicken on each side for about 5 minutes until browned on both sides. Make sure to season both sides.
- Place your cast iron in the oven to finish cooking the chicken. About 5 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken. You just want the internal temperature to reach 165F degrees. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
For the Pasta:
- Heat a medium pot with water and salt and bring to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat olive oil and butter. Add in chopped shallot and garlic and cook down like a little until fragrant. About 3-5 minutes.
- Next, turn down the heat and add in the heavy cream and parmesan. Mix well until incorporated and the parmesan is cooked down. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- When the water is boiling, go ahead and add in the pasta. Cook according to the package.
- When the pasta is done, drain but reserve about ¼ cup pasta water. Add the pasta water into the sauce and stir until combined.
- Pour drained pasta into the sauce. Sprinkle with additional parmesan. Mix until everything is incorporated. Serve warm with chicken and fresh parsley on top!
- This recipe serves about 2-3 people depending on hunger!