This herbed butter cast iron steak brings us back to our first apartment before we had a grill and kids. Those were much simpler days. I can’t believe we haven’t added this recipe to the blog yet, because it’s a favorite! Perfect for the holidays. The only thing new is was my homemade herbed butter which was absolutely incredible. You can use regular butter too. Also, Thomas did a filet for the recipe although he prefers a ribeye. If it’s cold outside or you just want soft buttery steak the cast iron is our favorite method. You will not be disappointed!
What you need to make these herbed butter cast iron steaks + substitutions:
- Beef tenderloin- We purchased a USDA prime beef tenderloin from Costco because it is cheaper if you cut it yourself and freeze the remains. We have a video coming soon on how to portion and trim a beef tenderloin. We used two filets from that tenderloin.
- Olive oil- We use olive oil to marinate the steak because we love it and it has so many amazing benefits. You could also use avocado oil if you prefer, both work just fine!
- Herbed butter- I just made a homemade herbed butter which is so good! It has fresh rosemary in it and it was amazing. Kerrygold butter would work great too!
- Salt- Thomas usually prefers coarse sea salt for his steaks but we did fine this time around. Redmond sea salt is our favorite and we buy it in bulk! You can use the code daddioskitchen for 15% off on their website.
- Pepper- Typically Thomas like to use whole peppercorns and smash them up himself. But this time, he used fine pepper which is fine as well.
- Garlic- The addition of fresh garlic in the pan with butter spices and oil is such a perfect compliment to these cast iron steaks.
- Meat thermometer– This obviously isn’t an ingredient, but we use a meat thermometer for everything! It’s such a game changer when it comes to cooking meat (and even bread), because then you really know if it’s done! I linked the one we’ve used for years and love!
If you love this, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Herbed Butter Cast Iron Steaks
- 1 lb beef filet about 0.5 or 0.6 lbs per steak
- ½ tsp sea salt fine or coarse
- ½ tsp black pepper fine or coarse
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3-4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp herbed butter or any butter
- -Preheat your oven to 420°F degrees.
- Place your beef on a plate or a sheet pan. Season with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. And let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Once oven is preheated, heat your cast iron. Add a drizzle of olive oil to your pan once it is hot. Add your filets to the pan. You should know if the pan is hot enough when you hear your steak sizzle.
- Break up your butter and add pieces into your pan as well as the whole fresh peeled garlic cloves. Depending on the thickness of the steak, you should flip around 2-3 minutes. Once flipped baste your steak with the melted butter. Pick up the the steak and be sure to sear the sides of the filet as well.
- Put your cast iron directly into the oven with your steak. Let cook for about 5 minutes. Again, the time will be dependent on the thickness of the filet. Once done pull out and let steak rest on dish or cutting board. Thomas prefers 130°-135°F internal temperature while Lex prefers 140°-145°F.
- Serve with your choice of sides! We chose potatoes and green beans. Enjoy!
Pingback: Herbed Butter Cast Iron Steaks — Daddio’s Kitchen | My Meals are on Wheels