This cozy homemade beef stew is a classic that everyone needs in their line up. It’s honestly such an overall easy meal that’s so nourishing. You have the beef, veggies, potatoes, and bone broth leaving you with a fabulous well rounded meal. We also love to serve ours with a side of sourdough and butter, because it’s the best. It comes together quickly and then all you do is simmer it and wait. Delicious!
What you need to make cozy homemade beef stew + substitutions:
- Stew meat- We used the stew meat that be cut from out tenderloin from THIS video! you can also get it from the grocery store already chopped. We usually like to go to Whole Foods for some meat, but also just signed up for Butcher Box so we’ll report back on how that goes! So many of you said you loved it so we’re trying it.
- All-purpose flour- I did all-purpose flour but gluten-free flour works as well. You can also skip the flour but it helps sear the meat and it’s a great addition.
- Carrots & celery- We added carrots and celery for some extra vegetables and bulk. I like to add a bunch but you don’t have to do as many if you don’t want to.
- Russet potatoes- The russet potatoes really add some extra heartiness and fill the soup up. They’re fabulous in this beef stew.
- Onion- Onion adds a great flavor to this cozy homemade beef stew.
- Beef broth- You can use beef, chicken, or vegetable broth. We used beef for this and Kettle + Fire is our favorite broth. They have cooking broth now too, and we LOVE it. You can use the code DADDIOSKITCHEN for 20% off. We also drink their sipping broth and if we’re ever using it in a recipe, we’ll use a box and then for the rest we will use organic broth from Costco.
- Rosemary- We had a ton of fresh rosemary in our garden so we’ve been using it in everything. You can use fresh or dried no problem.
- Dutch oven- I recently got this white dutch oven and I LOVE it. It’s great quality, has a gold handle, and is super sturdy. I love it! Any big pot or dutch oven works great.
If you love this, you may also love:
Cozy Homemade Beef Stew
This cozy homemade beef stew is a classic that everyone needs in their line up. It's honestly such an overall easy meal that's so nourishing. You have the beef, veggies, potatoes, and bone broth leaving you with a fabulous well rounded meal. We also love to serve ours with a side of sourdough and butter, because it's the best. It comes together quickly and then all you do is simmer it and wait. Delicious!
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups carrots cut into chunks
- 2 cups celery cut into chunks
- 2 cups russet potatoes peeled & cut into chunks
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 4-6 cups beef broth we love Kettle + Fire
- 1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in the beef, flour, 1 tsp sea salt, ½ tsp pepper, and garlic powder. Mix it until it coats the meat completely.
- Heat a large pot with olive oil. Add in the meat and sear on all sides for about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add in the onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Season with additional ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Mix it until everything is mixed together.
- Add in the beef broth. If you want less broth you can do closer to 4 cups but if you'd like more you can 6 cups. It's just personal preference and we did about 5 cups ourselves! Add in the fresh rosemary.
- Bring it to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 1-1½ hours until the veggies are fork tender. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
For Storing: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days! For Freezing: Freeze in a freezer bag & thaw and eat whenever.
Pingback: Crockpot Beef Bone Broth - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Sourdough Biscuits - Daddio's Kitchen