This quick hearty vegetable soup recipe is easy to prepare and even more delicious. There are so many ways to prepare vegetable soup and none are wrong! Vegetable soup does not need to be complicated and was typically a soup thrown together using your leftover fridge/pantry remains. Whether you may prefer to have a healthy reset or bounce back from a cold this soup will not disappoint. Be sure to follow these steps and transform this recipe into your liking by using veggies you may prefer. Here is our take on a classic soup. Enjoy!
What you need to make this quick hearty vegetable soup + substitutions:
- Onion- I feel like all good soups have onions in the base for flavor! The key is in sautéing them in the pan.
- Celery- We added in celery for some extra bulk and because we had some to use up.
- Red potatoes- We threw in chopped peeled potatoes for some bulk and to make the soup more filling. You can use any potato you like: russet, sweet potato, doesn’t matter.
- Frozen mixed vegetables- We just bought a pack of frozen mixed vegetables. These are some of the only vegetables the boys will eat these days haha. So they actually loved this soup. I got them from Trader Joe’s this time, but again we usually buy the big bag of frozen organic veggies from Costco. Gotta love Costco.
- Fresh garlic- Another classic for a soup base. You can’t skimp on the garlic. You can use garlic powder if preferred, but we love fresh the best.
- Chicken broth- We used chicken stock, and actually made our own using our leftover bones from a whole roasted chicken, lots of veggies, garlic, filtered water, salt and pepper. We’ll share how to do this soon. You can of course use store-bought no problem. We LOVE the Kettle & Fire chicken broth (code DADDIOSKITCHEN for 20% off) or we’ll buy a big batch of the Costco organic chicken stock. You could use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or beef broth.
- Heavy cream- Heavy cream is what adds the creaminess in. You can skip it if you like, but I highly suggest it! It just makes the soup richer, creamier, and fabulous.
- Tomato paste- The tomato paste adds a little thickness as well as flavor. Perfect addition to this vegetable soup.
- Canned diced tomatoes- We used diced canned tomatoes for this one. It adds nice chunks. You can also use fire roasted as well for a fun addition of flavor.
- Parmesan- Cheese makes everything even better, am I right? You can’t skip the fresh parmesan for topping!
- Seasoning- We used sea salt, black pepper, and dried oregano. We love buying organic spices when possible and we’ll get them in bulk from Thrive Market or from Trader Joe’s. Our go-to sea salt is from Redmond always. We buy it in bulk from their website. It’s unrefined sea salt meaning that it still contains the beneficial trace minerals! It’s also pure and unprocessed with is the best. You can use the code daddioskitchen for 15% off on their website.
If you love this, you may also love:
Quick Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp butter or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 6 celery stalks chopped
- 4 small red potaoes peeled & cut into chunks
- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt (more if needed)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 32 oz chicken broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- grated parmesan for topping
- In a large stockpot, heat your olive oil.
- Once warmed, add in your onions and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the fresh garlic and mix.
- Next, add in the celery and potatoes. Season with about ½ tsp sea salt and pepper. Let everything cook down for about 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add in frozen mixed vegetables and mix. Then add in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes and mix until everything is combined. Season with additional ½ tsp sea salt.
- Next, pour in the chicken stock. Mix and let cook for a few minutes and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, add in the heavy cream and mix.
- Turn the heat down to simmer and let everything simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with fresh grated parmesan and sourdough or grilled cheese on the side. Enjoy!