This easy creamy tomato soup is a delicious and comforting meal that can be made in 30 minutes or less. It’s loaded with flavor and has a creamy texture that can’t be beat. The secret to this soup is the combination of fresh tomatoes, cream, and herbs. To make it even better, add fresh grated parmesan and serve with a grilled cheese or a slice of sourdough with butter! This soup is perfect for a cozy night in, or as a starter for a dinner party. It’s a must try!
What you need to make this easy creamy tomato soup + substitutions:
- San marzano tomatoes- San Marzano tomatoes are considered by many to be the best tomatoes for making sauces and soups. These tomatoes have a sweet, intense flavor and low acidity.
- Chicken stock- We have been using our homemade chicken stock because it is so delicious and fresh. We LOVE the Kettle & Fire chicken stock (code DADDIOSKITCHEN for 20% off) or we’ll buy a big batch of the Costco organic chicken stock. You could use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or beef broth.
- Heavy cream- Heavy cream adds a rich creaminess to this tomato soup and it’s fabulous. You could substitute with half & half or unsweetened full fat coconut milk.
- Yellow onion- Yellow onion when heated releases a sweet flavor that compliments this soup since we did not add any sugar.
- Garlic- Fresh garlic adds the perfect flavor to any soup base. Garlic powder would work as a substitute.
- Parmesan cheese- We shredded fresh parmesan into the soup and it added to the creaminess and saltiness of the soup base.
- Fresh basil- Fresh basil smells so good! We added a few leaves into the soup before blending and it adds to the sweetness.
- Avocado oil- Whenever we’re cooking with high heat, we always use avocado oil. We buy a giant one from Costco and it’s the best for sautéing. Butter would work great as well.
- Sea salt & pepper- The perfect pair. Our go-to sea salt is from Redmond always. We buy it in bulk from their website. It’s unrefined sea salt meaning that it still contains the beneficial trace minerals! It’s also pure and unprocessed which is the best. You can use the code daddioskitchen for 15% off on their website.
If you love this, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making this recipe! Enjoy friends!
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
- 28 oz whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes (you can also use crushed)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp sea salt more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- Heat a medium to large sized pot. Then add the avocado oil or butter coating the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic. Season with half the salt and pepper. Mix well cooking the onion down.
- Once onion is cooked down, add your canned tomatoes and chicken stock. Mix well. Add in your cream and remaining seasoning and bring to a boil on low heat.
- Pour soup into blender and puree. We added the parmesan into blender instead of the soup but either will work.
- Top with shredded fresh basil and more cheese if you desire! Serve with a slice of bread or grilled cheese and enjoy!