If you’re looking for a quick and delicious meal that’s bursting with flavor, then this easy Greek chicken skillet recipe is just what you need. With juicy chicken, fresh vegetables, and classic Mediterranean spices, this one-pan meal is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying your meal!
What you need to make this easy Greek chicken skillet + substitutions:
- Chicken thighs- Thighs are a great alternative to chicken breasts when you want more intense rich flavor. Chicken breasts work fine too. We did boneless and skinless thighs, but you could also do it with them on as well! We love getting ours from here!
- Orzo- We used orzo pasta which is traditional for many Greek recipes. It has a versatile texture which makes it great for many hot and cold dishes. You can also serve it over rice, quinoa, or couscous for an alternative.
- Yellow onion- Yellow onions are our go to cooking onions because they are able to handle high heat. Once they are cooked, they release a sweet flavor and add such a nice flavor to this dish.
- Garlic cloves- A perfect flavoring agent to add aroma and deliciousness.
- Chicken stock- Cooking the rice in chicken stock is a great way to add flavor to the dish. You could use chicken broth or vegetable broth as well.
- Feta- Overall, feta cheese is an integral part of Greek cuisine and is used in many dishes for its flavor, versatility, and nutritional benefits. It has a tangy, salty flavor that adds a distinct taste to dishes.
- Cherry tomatoes- Cherry tomatoes are a common ingredient in many Greek dishes, adding a burst of sweetness and acidity to many dishes. They get all blistered and delicious when they go in the oven.
- Lemon- Lemon is a key ingredient in many Greek dishes and just really tops of the flavor of this dish.
- Fresh parsley-Fresh parsley adds a bright taste and helps to balance rich or savory dishes.
- Spinach- Spinach is a popular ingredient in Greek cuisine and is used in a variety of dishes for its flavor, nutrition, and versatility.
Tips for making it:
- We used our favorite Lodge cast iron! We use cast irons for the majority of our cooking. I love that it’s non-toxic and lasts forever! It also helps give your body iron which is pretty amazing. It’s great for cooking and is safe to put in the oven!
If you love this, you may also love:
Alright friends lets get to making this dish! Enjoy!
Easy Greek Chicken Skillet
If you're looking for a quick and delicious meal that's bursting with flavor, then this easy Greek chicken skillet recipe is just what you need. With juicy chicken, fresh vegetables, and classic Mediterranean spices, this one-pan meal is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying your meal!
- Lodge cast iron
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes
- ½ lemon squeezed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley used to top
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup feta
- sea salt to taste
Marinade for chicken:
- 1 lb chicken thighs bone-in & skin-on
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1-1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ degrees.
- To start, pat dry your chicken thighs. In a large bowl, add in your chicken thighs, oil and seasonings.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Add the chicken thighs to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add avocado oil and sauté the chopped onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the skillet and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until they start to burst and season with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once the stock is boiling add the orzo.
- Pour the spinach onto the skillet and then place the chicken thighs on top. Garnish with lemon slices around the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the temperature of the chicken reaches 165F degrees.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese and fresh parsley on top of the skillet. Squeeze half the lemon over the dish. Serve hot and enjoy!
For storing: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Pingback: Chicken & Rice Mexican Skillet - Daddio's Kitchen