We’re excited to share with you a delicious and easy-to-make chicken and rice Mexican skillet! This flavorful recipe is the perfect choice for a quick dinner and for feeding a hungry family. Any leftovers make for a delicious lunch the next day. If you’re a busy parent looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, this chicken and rice Mexican skillet is sure to impress. It is seasoned with a blend of Mexican spices, including cumin, chili powder, and paprika, which gives it a deliciously smoky and spicy flavor. So put on your apron, grab your skillet, and let’s get cooking!
What you need to make this chicken and rice Mexican skillet + substitutions:
- Chicken thighs- Thighs are a great alternative to chicken breasts when you want more intense rich flavor. Chicken breasts work fine too. We did boneless and skinless thighs, but you can also do bone-in and skin-on. We love getting ours from here!
- Corn- Corn adds a sweet and crunchy texture that pairs well with a range of savory flavors! The kids also love it.
- Yellow onion- Yellow onions are our go to cooking onions because they are able to handle high heat. Once they are cooked, they release a sweet flavor and add such a nice flavor to this dish.
- Beef stock- Cooking the rice in either beef stock or chicken stock is a great way to add flavor to the dish. This is our favorite brand. (You can use the code DADDIOSKITCHEN for 20% off). You can also use chicken broth, beef broth, chicken stock, or vegetable broth as well.
- Rice- We used Jasmine rice since we had it on hand but any rice would work.
- Queso fresco- Queso fresco is a soft and crumbly cheese that is commonly used in Mexican cuisine. We used it as a garnish to add a creamy and salty element to the dish.
- Black beans- Black beans are a great source of protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients, making them a healthy and delicious addition to any recipe.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes- Fire-roasted tomatoes add a smoky and slightly sweet flavor. We prefer fire roasted but diced tomatoes would work as well.
- Cilantro- Fresh cilantro adds a fresh and zesty flavor to this chicken & rice Mexican skillet.
Tips for making it:
- We used our favorite Lodge cast iron! We use cast irons for the majority of our cooking. I love that it’s non-toxic and lasts forever! It also helps give your body iron which is pretty amazing. It’s great for cooking and is safe to put in the oven!
If you love this, you may also love:
Alright friends lets get to making this dish! Enjoy!
Chicken & Rice Mexican Skillet
- Lodge cast iron 12in
Seasoning for Chicken
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
For the Skillet:
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1¾ cups beef broth
- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz can diced green chilis
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup corn
- 15.5 oz black beans
- ⅓-½ cup queso fresco
- fresh cilantro chopped, for topping
- avocado for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees.
- Pat dry your chicken thighs. Add the seasoning mixture all over the top and bottom. You can season and go straight to cooking.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken to a separate dish, reduce heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the beef broth and stir around. Then pour in the fire roasted tomatoes and diced green chilis. Mix well for 1-2 minutes. Season with a little sea salt.
- Bring to a light boil. Once boiling add in the rice, corn, and black beans. Mix well. Add the chicken thighs back to the skillet. Top with chunks of queso fresco if you want it melted in.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 16-18 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F degrees. Make sure the rice is cooked.
- Top with crumbles of queso fresco and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro. You can also top with salsa, sour cream or avocado!
- Serve hot and enjoy!