These greek chicken & veggie skewers are easy, delicious, and have the perfect combination of flavors! Make extra because I guarantee you’ll want leftovers! This is a tried and true recipe of ours! We’ve been making them for three years, and I don’t see us stopping anytime soon. It’s so nice having a bunch of prepped chicken and veggies to use as leftovers too. Add them to the orzo, on rice, in a wrap, or on a salad. The leftovers make a perfect lunch too!
What you need to make greek chicken & veggie skewers + substitutions:
- Chicken breasts- We prefer chicken breasts for this recipe. They soak up all the delicious flavor from the marinade and come out nice and soft, but perfectly crispy and delicious.
- Bell peppers- i love doing a combination of different bell pepper colors for color and flavor! Also I just think grilled peppers are magical and can upgrade so many kinds of meals.
- Zucchini- I’m also a big fan of grilled zucchini and love the pop of green they add. They also hold up really nicely on the skewers!
- Yellow onion- The onion is optional, and honestly all the veggies are. Use what you love or have, but the onion adds almost a sweet caramelization flavor that I love.
- Lemon- The acidity in the lemon helps to break down the chicken to make it nice and soft and flavorful.
- Olive oil- Olive oil is key to everything. We use olive oil all the time, it adds so much flavor and goodness to meals! You can use avocado oil as well.
Tips for making it:
- We LOVE these skewers! Thomas found them a few years ago, and they are a game changer! I always forget to soak the wooden sticks, so skipping that step is helpful. These fit a good amount on them as well. There’s also a piece at the top that pushes everything right off when you’re ready and it works great!
- Marinate your chicken & chop the veggies in the morning or whenever you have time so you can easily skewer and cook when the time is right! The chicken can marinate for up to 8-10 hours.
If you love this, you may also love:
Greek Chicken & Veggie Skewers
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper cut into squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into squares
- 1 large or 2 small zucchinis chopped in coins
- 1 yellow onion cut into squares
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-1½ tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped
- herbed orzo (recipe below)
For Herbed Orzo:
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
For the Skewers:
- To start chop all vegetables around the same size (so about the size of the zucchini coins so they’re easy to skewer. Mix all veggies in a bowl with about 1-2 tbsp olive oil and about ½ tsp and ¼ tsp black pepper. Set aside.
- For the chicken, pat dry the chicken to dry it out with paper towels. Then chop chicken into cubes. Throw it all in a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano, paprika, 1 tsp sea salt, and ½ pepper. Let marinate in the bowl for at least 30 minutes to 6-8 hours.
- Start skewering! We usually do a piece of chicken, a few veggies, chicken, veggies, repeat. Then grill until charred and chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees).
For the Orzo:
- Bring water and sea salt to a boil in a medium pot. Add the orzo and cook according to package directions. Once it's done, drain, and add the butter, sea salt, garlic powder, and fresh parsley if desired.
- To eat, we love to serve ours in a bowl with the orzo, chicken & veggies, and then we add on feta, hummus, tzatziki (I have my favorite homemade recipe here), and parsley. It's absolutely fabulous! Enjoy!