This bowtie pasta with chicken sausage and veggies is one of those quick & simple weeknight meals! It’s loaded with flavor, veggies, and a little protein! I love to make this one, because it’s one everyone loves. Even if the boys decide that they only want the pasta out of it, it’s a still a win in my opinion! It’s got lots of flavor yet it’s super simple and comes together in about 20 minutes. This is one of my favorites to make!
What do you need to make bowtie pasta with chicken sausage & veggies?
- Whole wheat bowties- For the pasta, you can use any shape and any variety. I typically like to use whole wheat bowties, however, the store didn’t have them so these are regular bowties pictured! But any shape pasta works just fine! I cooked everything in our favorite pot and pan!
- Chicken sausage- I used the organic Trader Joe’s chicken sausage so it’s just a mild sweet Italian. Feel free to use whatever you prefer or take it out if you want it to be vegetarian.
- Broccoli- I love using broccoli in here for the little bit of crunch, veggie, and green color. You could use another green veggie if preferred.
- Onion- The onion just adds a bit more flavor. You could also substitute with shallots.
- Sundried tomatoes- I have a serious thing for sundried tomatoes. I love the flavor and brightness they bring. I also think they totally make this dish but you can leave them out if you prefer.
- Spinach- The spinach just adds even more veggie and green in there and wilts down so much. You can totally skip this as well, but I love the extra in this bowtie pasta with chicken sausage & veggies dish.
- Olive oil– There is just nothing like some good quality olive oil. I use a ton of olive oil, because it’s one of my favorite things! Adds such a nice light yet rich flavor to this pasta dish!
- Parmesan– Why is parmesan SO GOOD? Cheese is essential to my living. You can use fresh parmesan, like we did, and grate it yourself. You can also buy the already grated to save even more time. Pecorino romano would work wonderfully too.
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Bowtie Pasta with Chicken Sausage & Veggies
- 8 oz whole wheat farfelle (bowties)
- 4 chicken sausage links chopped into coins
- 1 head of broccoli cut into small trees
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¼-⅓ cup fresh parmesan grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil more if needed
- 2 tbsp pasta water reserved from draining pasta
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
For the chicken sausage & veggies:
- In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Once warmed, add in the onions and chopped broccoli. Season with a little sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder and saute for about 5-7 minutes until cooked down a bit.
- Then add in the chicken sausage and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Next, add in your sundried tomatoes and fresh spinach. Season with a little more sea salt. Mix until spinach is wilted and take off the heat.
For the pasta:
- Heat a medium pot with water and lots of sea salt. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Once boiling, add in your pasta and cook according to your package.
- Once it's cooked to your desire, drain but reserve about 2 tbsp of pasta water for the dish.
- Add the drained pasta and pasta water into the pan with the chicken sausage and veggies.
- Grate on the fresh parmesan. You want to add it directly to the pasta so it sticks before mixing. Then mix pasta until everything is incorporated.
- Season with any additional sea salt and enjoy!