Green chili chicken enchiladas are comfort to the soul and flavor explosion to the tastebuds! They are so simple to make & would be perfect to double for a crowd. Next time you’re craving Mexican, you must try these. I promise they’re an absolute winner!
What do you need to make the green chili chicken enchiladas?
- Chicken breasts- We prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts here. We order all our meat from Belcampo (you can use the code RADIANCE10 for 10% off). You could also substitute with rotisserie chicken or shredded crockpot chicken if needed.
- Avocado oil- Avocado oil is great for cooking with high heat. We buy the giant Chosen Foods avocado oil from Costco and it’s amazing!
- Green chili enchilada sauce- This Frontera one is our go-to, but you can use any you prefer or make your own!
- Canned green chilis- Any canned green chilis will do, but these are what we used. We chose mild but feel free to use what spice level you enjoy! They wouldn’t be green chili chicken enchiladas without these!
- Flour tortillas- Classic flour tortillas taste the most authentic and are our personal favorite! You can use whole wheat, gluten free, or whatever tortilla you like. The all corn tortillas don’t hold up as well so most likely will break.
- Shredded Mexican cheese- Shredded Mexican cheese blend is definitely the easiest option, but you can also just use a cheddar. Feel free to buy a block of cheddar or colby jack and shred it yourself!
- Cilantro- I love cilantro so much, which I know so many don’t but if you do, load up the top! I forgot for the picture but added afterwards!
Tips for making it:
- You could also use shredded rotisserie chicken or crockpot chicken. The only difference is after shredding the chicken, add the sauce and chilis to the chicken. When you bake, you may want to cover your baking dish with foil and let it cook a little longer to warm up the insides as well!
- If you want fuller enchiladas, use 4 tortillas and load them up. If you’d like them to be a little on the smaller side, use 6 tortillas!
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 16 oz green chili enchilada sauce
- 4 oz canned green chilis
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese or more
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water
- Cut chicken breasts in half so you have two thin pieces of chicken. Season on both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with avocado oil at medium high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and sear on both sides for about 3-5 minutes.
- After seared, pour in about 1 cup of water. Cover the skillet with a lid and turn the heat down to low. Let the chicken cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F degrees. It should take about 5-8 more minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, pour it into a bowl. You can either add it to your stand mixer and use your attachment to shred it by just turning it out. Or you can use a hand mixer to shred it as well. If you don't have either, just use two forks to shred.
- Next, add in 8oz of the green enchilada sauce and the can of diced green chilis. Mix until everything is well combined and the chicken is shredded.
- You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken or shredded crockpot chicken. The only difference is, go ahead and add the sauce, chilis, and some salt and pepper to the bowl with the shredded chicken. When you go to bake, I would cover your baking dish in foil and let it bake a bit longer to warm up throughout!
- In a large baking dish, we used a 9×13, pour a drizzle of enchilada sauce on the bottom.
- Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture. Roll it up and place it in the dish seam side down. Repeat until you have them all full.
- If you like a bigger enchilada, fill with a good amount and use four tortillas. If you like a smaller enchilada, fill with a little less and use six tortillas.
- Cover the top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350F degrees for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- If you want to bake it later, let it cool completely. Cover the dish and keep it in the fridge. When it's time to bake, cover with foil. Bake it in the oven at 350F degrees for 20-25 minutes until everything is warmed and the cheese is melted.
- Top with cilantro and serve with some romaine, salsa, avocado, and sour cream or greek yogurt! Enjoy!