Classic peanut butter blossoms were always one of my favorite Christmas cookies growing up! What beats chocolate and peanut butter? It’s always been my favorite dessert combination since I was little! These are such a classic, but I added the upgrade of peanut butter cups on top. You can totally use Hershey’s kisses, but I mean I always welcome extra peanut butter! These are a family favorite and you can not go wrong!
What you need to make classic peanut butter blossoms:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, just decrease the salt in the recipe to 1/2 tsp. Make sure your butter is room temperature, because it makes a huge difference!
- Peanut butter- For this recipe, natural peanut butter won’t work. It’s too creamy and runny, and you need a more stiff one. I used this peanut butter, but you just need one that’s no stir basically.
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives it that caramel note and adds the perfect sweetness as well as giving these cookies that deep rich color. You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Granulated sugar- A classic in any recipe. You can use white sugar, cane sugar, whatever you prefer. I haven’t tested coconut sugar.
- Egg- The egg helps to bind the recipe and really helps give it taste and texture. I don’t know if flax eggs would work as an alternative for these classic peanut butter blossoms.
- Vanilla extract- No baked good recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work for this. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Baking soda- Helps to produce a light and fluffy and perfectly cooked classic peanut butter blossom!
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor!
- Peanut butter cups- I used mini peanut butter cups, because give me more peanut butter. Regular Hershey’s kisses are of course fine too!
If you love these, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
Classic Peanut Butter Blossoms
- ¾ cup peanut butter a no stir peanut butter like Jif
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 16-18 peanut butter cups
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add in the sugars and mix until well combined.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Pour in the flour, baking soda, and sea salt and mix. The batter will be a little crumbly, but should be able to roll together into balls.
- Roll the dough into 20-24 balls. Put about ⅓ cup of granulated sugar in a bowl, and roll each dough ball in additional granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 8-10 minutes. Once they're done, remove from the oven and press in your peanut butter cup. Let cool for 5-10 minutes on the pan and then move to a wire rack. Enjoy!