Brownie batter overnight oats basically are essentially dense, chocolatey brownies in breakfast form plus they’re good for you! That’s my kind of breakfast. My favorite way to enjoy overnight oats is hands down with yogurt added. It not only adds protein, but it also gives it the BEST thick and cream consistency! If you’ve been afraid of overnight oats or haven’t tried them with yogurt, give these a try!
What is overnight oatmeal?
Overnight oats are basically just oatmeal soaked overnight in the fridge making an easy breakfast! Some people like to warm it up, but I honestly prefer it cold especially with the yogurt. You can prep multiple ahead of time so you have an easy breakfast ready to go for you all week!
What you need to make brownie batter overnight oats + substitutions:
- Rolled oats- I love using rolled oats for overnight oats! They soak up the yogurt so well and add a bit more texture than quick oats would give!
- Greek yogurt- I used the plain Fage 5% yogurt! I also love their 2%, Siggi’s vanilla or even dairy free would work here. Just use whatever you buy and you love!
- Cashew milk- Feel free to substitute with another milk like almond, soy, oat, dairy or whatever you prefer! You can also easily use water here since you get the creamy goodness from the yogurt.
- Ground flaxseeds- I love the texture or ground flax and I feel like they don’t get as jelly-like as chia seeds. But you can also substitute with chia seeds as well! Adds some wonderful nutrients to these brownie batter overnight oats.
- Cocoa powder- The cocoa powder adds that chocolate goodness and makes them taste like a brownie. You can use cacao powder or even chocolate protein powder if you’d like.
- Maple syrup- You can use 1-2 tsp depending on sweet you like yours! You could also start with 1 tsp and then top with an extra drizzle if you want it sweeter. You could also use honey or brown sugar.
- Sea salt- I don’t make anything without salt. It’s what helps bring the flavor out in a recipe.
- Chocolate chips- This is totally optional but you can use some chocolate chips for mixing in or topping in the morning if you really want to go all in on the brownie feel!
If you love these, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Brownie Batter Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cups plain greek yogurt
- ⅓-½ cup cashew milk or milk of choice
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup or less/more if desired
- pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips optional
- In a mason jar, tupperware, or something with a lid, mix together all ingredients except the chocolate chips if you're using. You can mix them in if you'd like, but it's up to you.
- If you like it a little sweeter, add 2 tsp maple syrup. I typically do 1. If you like your oats thicker, do ⅓ cup milk, if you like them a little on the thinner side, use ½ cup milk!
- Store in the fridge overnight. In the morning, top with chocolate chip if using! Feel free to add some banana or berries and I always add peanut butter.