Sheet pan chicken fajitas are such an easy, simple, and incredibly satisfying dinner! The dish has minimal ingredients and just a little bit of prep gives you the most delicious meal! This is an upgrade from my chicken fajita bake, because I liked the idea of having the chicken already sliced and the peppers mixed in instead of on top! Even more delicious, because the seasoning gets even more loaded onto the chicken! Even the kids loved this one!
What do you need to make sheet pan chicken fajitas?
- Chicken breasts- We prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts here. You can buy pre-sliced in you want, but we like to slice them ourselves. Up to you!
- Avocado oil- Avocado oil is great for cooking with high heat. We buy the giant Chosen Foods avocado oil from Costco and it’s amazing!
- Bell peppers- You can use any color of peppers. I ended up buying a pack with red, orange, and yellow but feel free to add in green too!
- Onions- I have a white onion so that’s what I went with, but you can also use a white or red onion.
- Homemade Taco seasoning- Typically, we eat a Mexican inspired meal about once a week so we always have the seasonings on hand for Thomas’ seasoning. It’s so good every time! Feel free to just use a taco seasoning packet as well!
- Flour tortillas- This time around, we used fajita sized flour tortillas. Use whatever you love and prefer! We used tortillas for these sheet pan chicken fajitas but you could also do a rice bowl!
- Avocado- You can either use avocado cubes, guacamole, mashed avocado, or none at all. Up to you!
- Shredded Mexican cheese- The cheese is optional, if you want to use it as a topping, go ahead but it’s not required. You can buy the pre-shredded cheese or a block of cheese and shred it yourself. It doesn’t have caking ingredients when you buy a block.
- Lime juice- Squeeze this over your assembled fajitas! It will brighten the flavor and give it a nice zest.
- Cilantro- I love cilantro so much, which I know so many don’t but if you do, load up the top!
Tips for making it:
- You can use one giant sheet pan (like I did) or two regular sized sheet pans if you don’t have one. You can just go ahead and cook the chicken on one sheet pan and the veggies on the other.
- Feel free to double or triple the homemade taco seasoning! Then just use a couple tablespoons of it to season your chicken until it’s well coated! Then you have leftovers for next time you want to make these sheet pan chicken fajitas or another Mexican-inspired dish!
- You can easily make this recipe in one pan just like the shrimp fajitas! Just follow the same directions & it’s just as quick and easy in my opinion!
- These fajitas can easily be frozen to have an easy prepped meal! You just freeze everything raw separately like the photo below. You just thaw everything in the fridge or on the counter & cook in a pan! More directions below.
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lbs chicken breast
- 3-4 bell peppers sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow or white onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For Topping/ Assembling:
- flour tortillas or tortillas or choice
- lime juice
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Prepare your ingredients by slicing your chicken, bell peppers, and onions into thin strips.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the spices for the seasoning mixture.
- Put your veggies on one side of the sheet pan and your chicken on the other side. Cover everything with a drizzle of avocado oil. Pour the majority of the seasoning mixture over the chicken and use the remaining ¼ seasoning for the veggies.
- Mix the chicken together really well and make sure it's a little spaced out so it's not overlapping. I used an extra large sheet pan, but you could also use two pans. One for the veggies and one for the chicken.
- Season the veggies with an additional sprinkle of sea salt and mix well.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165F degrees. We use a meat thermometer for EVERYTHING!
- If you like your veggies a little more cooked down, you can put them in the oven first for about 10-15 minutes, then add the chicken and continue.
- Grab your tortilla, load up the chicken and veggies, top with avocado cubes, a squeeze of lime, and cilantro. ENJOY!
- NOTE: You can also cook these fajitas in one pan! Cook the peppers and onions and set aside. Then cook the chicken with seasoning until cooked through. Add the veggies back in, mix, and assemble!
- FOR FREEZER MEAL PREP: You can freeze individual freezer bags of each item to make a little fajita kit. In one bag, add tortillas. In another bag, add chopped peppers & onions. In the last bag, add the chicken and seasoning and mix well. To cook, just thaw completely and cook! It's probably easiest to just cook on the stovetop! Enjoy!