These classic ground beef tacos are a family favorite that we make almost weekly! They’re one of those meals that can usually be pulled together in a pinch because we always have these ingredients available. We love to turn our ground beef into tacos, nachos, or taco salad bowls. I love that the leftovers are versatile! Also, the kids love these, which is always a huge win over here! Hope these become a go-to at your house too!
What do you need to make these classic ground beef tacos:
- Ground beef- Any ground beef will work just fine here. We usually buy most of our ground beef from Costco or we’ll buy the organic option wherever we’re shopping. Ground turkey would work here too!
- Yellow onion- This just adds some great flavor to the beef tacos. You can skip it, but I highly suggest it.
- Avocado oil- Avocado oil is great for cooking with high heat. We buy the giant Chosen Foods avocado oil from Costco and it’s amazing!
- Homemade taco seasoning- Our go-to taco seasoning for everything. Tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, etc. It’s super versatile and a great one to keep in your rotation! You can definitely just use a packet as well!
- Flour tortillas- We love to use flour tortillas because they always hold up the best. A mix of flour and corn work great too! Or you can use whatever you want: whole wheat, gluten free, or all corn. Whenever I have time, I love making these sourdough tortillas, they’re my top favorite!
- Romaine- Perfect way to add some green and nutrients to these classic ground beef tacos.
- Tomatoes- I love using grape tomatoes or even salsa too when the tomatoes aren’t in season and as tasty.
- Corn- We used frozen corn and cooked it on the stovetop. The boys love corn so we always like having it on the side.
- Shredded Mexican cheese- Shredded Mexican cheese blend is definitely the easiest option, but you can also just use a shredded cheddar. Feel free to buy a block of cheddar or colby jack and shred it yourself!
- Cilantro- I love cilantro and always love to top when I have it!
- Lime- I love to add a fresh squeeze of lime, but it’s totally optional.
If you love this one, then you may also love:
- Easy & Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Easy Chicken Fajita Bake
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Classic Ground Beef Tacos
For the Beef:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
Homemade Taco Seasoning:
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- tortillas (we used flour)
- grape tomatoes
- Mexican cheese shredded
- lime juice optional
- cilantro optional
- In a large cast iron or pan, heat avocado oil. Once it's heated, add in diced onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Then, add in the ground beef. Break it up using a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, mix together the taco seasoning. Or you can just add it all to the beef, but we prefer to mix it prior. Add the seasoning to the meat and let it cook until cooked through, stirring frequently.
- You're all done! Assemble your tacos however you'd like to eat them. Our favorite is a tortilla, beef, cheese, romaine, tomatoes, corn, a drizzle of lime juice, and cilantro (which I forgot to get for this photo)! Enjoy!
Pingback: Quick Honey Garlic Shrimp - Daddio's Kitchen