These broccoli & cheddar rice cups are the perfect way to enjoy a flavorful and healthy side dish for the whole family. The combination of fresh broccoli, nutty brown rice, and sharp cheddar cheese make for a delicious combination of flavors and textures. This dish is easy and quick to make, and it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family. Plus it’s much less messy to clean up after your kids eat them than regular rice. Enjoy these broccoli & cheddar rice cups for a quick and tasty side that’s sure to bring smiles to your table!
What you need to make broccoli & cheddar rice cups + substitutions:
- Brown rice- We used Success Boil-In-Bag Brown Rice for our rice. If you’ve never tried it, it’s a must. Perfect rice every time, you literally can’t mess up. All you do is take the bag of rice and boil it in water straight in the bag. It takes 8-10 minutes to cook and is SO easy. It’s fluffy and consistent every time. You can even cook it in broth, coconut milk, or whatever for some added flavor and nutrients.
- Broccoli- You can choose any vegetable you prefer for the side! We did steamed broccoli with butter and sea salt, because that’s a family favorite. Feel free to do any vegetable you love.
- Cheddar cheese- Cheddar cheese is a firm, yellow-orange cheese made from cow’s milk. It is one of the most popular cheeses with a distinct sharp, nutty, and tangy flavor. We use a whole block and shred ourselves but pre-shredded works as well.
- Egg-Eggs are a versatile food that can be used in a variety of ways. Eggs are a great source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. They help bind up the rice cups making them stay together.
- Sea salt & pepper- Sea salt and pepper are a great combination for seasoning dishes, as they bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients without overpowering them.
More about Success Rice:
Success Rice is the original no measure, no mess boil-in-bag rice that gives you an easy but quality shortcut to cooking the perfect rice. It’s precooked and dehydrated so all you have to do is rehydrate it. So many struggle with cooking rice and getting it right. That’s why Success is so convenient, because it works and is consistent every single time. You can’t beat that! The rice comes in a heat safe and BPA-free bag that you boil right in water. It’s ready in 10 minutes and makes perfect rice or quinoa every time. They have multiple options available: White and Brown Rice, Jasmine and Basmati Rice, and Tri-Color Quinoa. A great thing to keep in the pantry to add to any meal. We used brown rice for these broccoli & cheddar rice cups. Brown rice is a whole grain that’s a great source of complex carbohydrates. Plus the kids actually love and eat rice.
If you love this, you may also love:
- Greek Chicken & Veggie Skewers
- Broccoli & Cheddar Chicken Skillet
- Honey Garlic Chicken with Rice & Broccoli
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
Broccoli & Cheddar Rice Cups
- 2 packets Success Rice brown rice (or 2 cups cooked brown rice)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup broccoli chopped small
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Start by preparing your Success Rice. Pour about 6 cups of water into a medium pot and submerge 2 bags of Success Rice. You can also do partial water and partial chicken broth for more flavor and nutrients. So 4 cups water and 2 cups chicken broth. Place the lid on the pot and bring water to a boil and then boil uncovered for 4-5 minutes. Remove the bag from the water with a fork and let it drain.
- In a medium bowl, add in the cooled rice, whisked eggs, chicken broth, broccoli, cheddar, sea salt & pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Add the rice mixture into 9 sprayed muffin cups.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and then pop out of the muffin tin and let cool on a wire rack. Serve & enjoy!