This creamy shrimp penne pasta dish is quick, flavorful, and pure delight. The whole family loves this recipe! It’s easy to make and good for when your wanting a fun dish. The penne pairs perfectly with the shrimp and the sauce from the tomatoes, heavy cream, herbs, and parmesan is heavenly. It’s a must make! It would also be a great date night meal or meal to serve with friends. Hope you love it as much as we do!
What you need to make creamy shrimp penne pasta + substitutions:
- Penne pasta- We used penne for this recipe and the kids always love this shape! Any pasta shape will of course work.
- Shrimp- We used shrimp in this recipe! You could easily do chicken, but everyone in our family loves shrimp so it’s an easy way to incorporate it! We typically buy it already peeled and deveined to make it easier.
- Olive oil– There is just nothing like some good quality olive oil. I use a ton of olive oil, because it’s one of my favorite things! Adds such a nice light yet rich flavor to this creamy shrimp penne pasta dish!
- Garlic- Fresh garlic is 100% ideal here. And the smell of fresh garlic after it hits the pan is amazing! Powder works too, but I highly suggest the fresh.
- Whole canned tomatoes- We use Muir Glenn Organic whole San Marzano canned tomatoes. You could use diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes but really the San Marzano whole tomatoes are the best! Nothing against the brand Cento, but Thomas always says their San Marzano tomatoes alter the taste.
- Fresh basil- Our garden has been overflowing with basil and we need to use it up! I love making homemade pesto, but using it in this dish is also amazing! Adds such a great flavor.
- Fresh Italian parsley– Adds the perfect vibrancy to the meal. It’s so tasty and we love using parsley for lots of meals, especially pasta dishes because it brings out the other flavors.
- Heavy cream- The heavy cream adds richness, creaminess, and pure delight.
- Parmesan– Why is parmesan SO GOOD? Cheese is essential to my living. You can use fresh parmesan, like we did, and grate it yourself. You can also buy it already grated to save even more time. We love Cello brand!
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Creamy Shrimp Penne Pasta
- 1 lb penne pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp peeled & deveined
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- ⅓ cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- ½-1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- red pepper flakes optional, for serving
- Bring a medium to large pot of water and sea salt to a boil. Add in the penne pasta and cook according to the package until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Pat dry shrimp with paper towels to dry out. Season each side with about ½ tsp sea salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat then add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the shrimp and cook until its pink, about 3-4 minutes each side. Then remove it from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, reduce the heat to low and add another 2 tbsp olive oil. Add in the fresh garlic and saute for a minute. Then add in the whole peeled tomatoes and crush them up a bit with your spoon. Season with some sea salt.
- Next, add in the heavy cream and mix. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in your shrimp, pasta, parmesan, basil & parsley. Mix until everything is incorporated. Taste & season with more sea salt if needed.
- Serve with extra parmesan and herbs. Enjoy!
Pingback: Bowtie Pasta with Chicken Sausage & Veggies - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Sauce - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Spinach and Mushroom Bowtie Pasta - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Orecchiette Pasta with Italian Sausage - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Garlic Parmesan Shrimp Pasta - Daddio's Kitchen
Wasn’t a favorite, lacked flavor.
We are so sorry you were not satisfied! Curious what tomatoes you used because I have noticed a difference between brands. Thank you for your feedback!