Chocolate covered peanut butter dates are the easiest, no oven, perfect sweet treat! It’s simple to make a big batch to keep in the freezer for when your sweet tooth calls. The combination of the dates that taste like caramel with the peanut butter and the richness of the chocolate make them taste like an actual candy bar. Oh, and don’t forget the sea salt! It’s key to really elevating the flavor! They are just so good.
What you need to make chocolate covered peanut butter dates + substitutions:
- Medjool dates- Medjool dates are the nice and plump dates. They’re sweet and soft and have a caramel note to them! These are my favorite dates hands down! I always get the dates with pits in them, because I think they make the date stay softer. You just pit them before stuffing with peanut butter. I also always find good prices on medjool dates at Costco and Trader Joe’s.
- Peanut butter- I love peanut butter so much. It’s my favorite nut butter for sure! However, feel free to substitute with any nut/ seed butter of your choice.
- Dark chocolate- I used the Trader Joe’s pound plus 72% cacao chocolate bar. I chopped it up and it added the best dark chocolate flavor. Feel free to substitute with chocolate chips or chocolate bar of choice. Anything will work for these chocolate covered peanut butter dates.
- Coconut oil- The little bit of coconut oil helps the chocolate to be easier to dip into and hardens the shell.
- Sea salt- Sprinkling a little flakey sea salt on these really elevates the flavor! It helps to really bring out the sweetness too.
Tips for making these:
- To make it easier for dipping, you can go ahead and refrigerate the dates with the peanut butter inside them for about 30 minutes. If you don’t want to wait, no problem, just go ahead!
If you love these, you may also love:
- Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Truffles
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
- Copycat Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Dates
- 8 medjool dates pitted (i like to pit myself)
- ½ cup peanut butter or any nut/ seed butter
- 4 oz dark chocolate or ½ cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- flakey sea salt for topping
- Pit medjool dates. Stuff each date with about 1 tbsp of peanut butter. You can refrigerate the stuffed dates for about 30 minutes to make them easier to dip, but you don't have to.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Dip each date in the chocolate mixture and lay on a parchment lined sheet pan. Sprinkle with flakey sea salt.
- When you're done, place the dates in the fridge to harden the chocolate for about 30 min- 1 hour. Enjoy!
- Feel free to double the batch if you want extras!
These got me through marathon training years ago and now they just get me through everyday life 🙂 So easy and perfect to store in freezer and pop out whenever hunger strikes!
You are the best Emma! Thank you so much for sharing!! And congrats on your past marathon, that’s incredible!
Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Banana Popsicles - Daddio's Kitchen