These shrimp tacos with avocado cilantro sauce are a summertime favorite! They’re fresh, light, and you’ll want to put the sauce on everything. This recipe comes together so quickly and you can make the coleslaw and sauce ahead making it an even faster meal. Do yourself a favor and double the sauce to use in another meal or as a dip with chips, it’s amazing! Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
What you need to make shrimp tacos with avocado cilantro sauce + substitutions:
- Shrimp or fish- You can use with either for this recipe! We’ve used both and they are both delicious. We buy raw shrimp from Costco but you can also use tilapia.
- Seasoning- We love the seasoning in the recipe below plus it’s SO easy! We also had this Pescado Verde seasoning that we found from Costco that we tried out and it was delicious as well. So honestly either would work and both are fabulous in this recipe.
- Tortillas- Use whatever tortillas are your favorite and go-to! You can also this this over rice or quinoa which we often do as leftover lunch bowls to change it up. I actually made homemade sourdough tortillas, I’m obsessed, which is why they’re odd shapes but absolutely fabulous and so easy.
- Shredded cabbage- You can easily buy a whole cabbage and shred it yourself, but we bought already shredded cabbage to save a step.
- Lime- The lime is very much required for both the avocado cilantro sauce and the cabbage slaw.
- Cilantro- If you’re one of those people who doesn’t like cilantro, this recipe is not for you haha!
- Avocado- The avocado is key for the sauce! It makes it so incredibly creamy and delicious. The sauce is also fantastic as a dip for chips as well.
- Greek yogurt- The greek yogurt also really makes the sauce so good. My favorite is the plain Fage 5%. It adds a nice richness, some protein, and makes the sauce so creamy.
If you love this, you may also love:
Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
These shrimp tacos with avocado cilantro sauce are a summertime favorite! They're fresh, light, and you'll want to put the sauce on everything. This recipe comes together so quickly and you can make the coleslaw and sauce ahead making it an even faster meal. Do yourself a favor and double the sauce to use in another meal or as a dip with chips, it's amazing! Hope you enjoy as much as we do!
For the Shrimp/Fish:
- 1 lb raw shrimp or tilapia both work great!
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- avocado oil
For the Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- water to thin, if desired
For the Cabbage Slaw:
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼-⅓ cup cilantro
- sea salt to taste
To make the cabbage slaw:
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the shredded cabbage, cilantro, lime juice and sea salt. Mix well. You can serve it right away but I love doing it in the morning so it can marinate all day!
To make the avocado cilantro sauce:
- In a large or food processor, add all the sauce ingredients except the water. Blend it up until incorporated. If you want, you can add water until you reach your desired consistency if you prefer the sauce thinner to drizzle. Start with a tablespoon at a time.
To make the shrimp/ fish:
- Pat dry your shrimp or fish, whatever you're using. Season with the seasoning except avocado oil.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, season generously with avocado oil. Cook your shrimp or fish until complete. A few minutes on each side for the shrimp and about 3-5 minutes on each side for the fish until blackened and cooked through.
- Assemble your tacos! Tortillas, avocado cilantro sauce, shrimp or fish, cabbage slaw, and additional cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
For Storing: Store leftovers separately in airtight containers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Pingback: Easy & Cheesy Beef Enchiladas - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: The Best Soy Glazed Salmon - Daddio's Kitchen
What kind of shrimp did you use for this?
Hi Allie! We used raw shrimp, peeled and deveined! You can do it yourself but we like to get it already done.