This cozy chicken noodle soup is the perfect meal for when you need a comforting meal or a little boost of immunity. The flavors are delicious & so satisfying! This is one of those meals that the whole family loves, which is always a winner. It’s simple easy and you can make a ton. We love to double it and freeze half for later. Hope you love it as much as we do!
What you need to make cozy chicken noodle soup + substitutions:
- Cooked Chicken- For this recipe, Thomas cooked a whole roasted chicken and then we used cooked chicken from there. You could also use shredded rotisserie chicken, shredded crockpot chicken, or baked chicken. You basically just need 2 cups of cooked chicken.
- Yellow onion- The onion gives a great flavor and adds some bulk to the soup.
- Carrots & celery- Carrots and celery are a classic base to most soup recipes. They pair nicely with the flavors and add lots of veggies to this soup.
- Garlic cloves- Garlic is ideal in basically every savory recipe. You can substitute with 1 tsp garlic powder if needed.
- Fresh ginger- The ginger isn’t required, but I love the bright addition. It’s not overpowering either!
- Avocado oil- When we’re cooking with high heat, we prefer to use avocado oil. We always buy the giant Chosen Foods avocado oil from Costco.
- Egg noodles- We love egg noodles in this recipe. You can use any noodles you have on hand!
- Spinach- The spinach is optional but we love adding it in for a little extra veggie and color. The boys don’t always love it so sometimes we just put it at the bottom of our bowl before pouring the soup over.
- Chicken stock- We have a bunch of chicken stock from Costco so that’s what we used, but feel free to substitute with chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Fresh or dried thyme- The thyme adds such a nice flavor. You can skip it if preferred but we love it.
If you love this, you may also love:
Cozy Chicken Noodle Soup
This cozy chicken noodle soup is the perfect meal for when you need a comforting meal or a little boost of immunity. The flavors are delicious & so satisfying! This is one of those meals that the whole family loves, which is always a winner. It's simple easy and you can make a ton. We love to double it and freeze half for later. Hope you love it as much as we do!
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- 8-10 oz egg noodles
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1-2 cups carrots sliced
- 1-2 cups celery chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 in knob of fresh ginger minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach optional
- 1-1½ tsp sea salt to taste
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat your soup pot & once it's hot add avocado oil. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute or so until fragrant.
- Add onions, celery, carrots & season with half of the salt & pepper. Cook everything until it gets soft. Keep stirring and let everything marinate together. Add in the fresh thyme.
- Next, add all the chicken stock. Season with the rest of the sea salt & pepper. Bring to a boil and then cook on simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add in the shredded chicken. Then the spinach & stir until it softens.
- In a separate pot, boil water & cook noodles until al dente. Drain and add the noodles to the soup.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley if you'd like and a side of buttered baguette. Enjoy!
For Storing: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. For Freezing: Freeze in an airtight container that can go in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the sink until thawed enough to heat! Enjoy!
Hi! I see the recipe instructions calls for spinach but I don’t see how much spinach in the ingredient list. How much do you put in? Thanks!
Hi Allison! You’re right, thank you for pointing that out! I will go ahead and update it now, but I’d say about 2 cups of spinach!
Pingback: Creamy Butternut Squash Soup - Daddio's Kitchen