This sausage kale & white bean soup is honestly probably one of the easiest and most flavorful soups! It also comes together so quickly with minimal chopping! The sausages liven up the broth with such great flavor and everything just came out so good & cozy. Serve along some delicious bread, like my homemade sourdough for a delicious and satisfying meal. Perfect for this time of year to have in the fridge for an easy dinner when things are busy!
What you need to make sausage kale & white bean soup + substitutions:
- Italian sausage- We used mild Italian sausage for the kids, but you can use hot if you prefer. Our favorite sausages are the ones from Whole Foods that you get behind the butcher counter.
- Onion- Onion adds the best flavor to soup. It’s caramelized and just is delicious with the sausage.
- Garlic cloves- Garlic is ideal in basically every savory recipe. You can substitute with 1 tsp garlic powder if needed.
- Kale- You could could also use spinach here! However, the kale adds such a hearty texture and addition to the soup. It bulks it up and adds some great nutrients.
- Cannellini beans- The white beans add a nice thickness and heartiness to the soup! I love the combination of sausage with the white beans. So delicious in this sausage kale & white bean soup.
- Butternut squash- You can use fresh or frozen here. If you’re going to use frozen, add it in with the broth. If you’re going to use fresh, add it in with the onions.
- Chicken stock- We have a bunch of chicken stock from Costco so that’s what we used, but feel free to substitute with chicken broth or vegetable broth.
If you love this, you may also love:
Sausage, Kale, & White Bean Soup
- 3 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 bunch of kale chopped
- 1 10oz bag fresh or frozen butternut squash cubes
- 2 15.5oz cans cannellini beans
- 2 32oz cartons of low sodium chicken stock
- ½-1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a large stockpot, heat and add olive oil, garlic, onion, and season with about 1/2 tsp sea salt and pepper. If you're using fresh butternut squash, you can add it in here. Saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the ground sausage. Cook until sausage is cooked through.
- Add in the kale, white beans, and chicken stock. Bring the soup to a boil. Season with more salt if needed. If you're using frozen butternut squash, you can add it in here!
- Once you bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes until the butternut squash can be pierced with a fork.
- Top with parmesan. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!