These chocolate chip cookie bar are so simple and one of my favorites! They are basically my Best Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies, but it bar form! All you need is one bowl and mostly ingredients you might already have. Also delicious when topped with vanilla ice cream! Thick, chewy, dense, doughy. All the best things, yes please!
What are chocolate chip cookie bars?
Imagine a chocolate chip cookie but in a bar form! The slices are thick, yet soft and chewy, and a little crispy on the outer edges. Perfect in every way in my opinion. Easy to make and perfect to bring to a group. Made with basic chocolate chip cookie ingredients!
What you need to make chocolate chip cookie bars + substitutions:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, just decrease the salt in the recipe to 1/2 tsp instead of 1 tsp. Make sure the butter is at room temperature, it makes a huge difference!
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives it that caramel note and adds the perfect sweetness as well as giving them that deep rich brown color.
- Granulated sugar- A classic in any recipe. You can use white sugar, cane sugar, whatever you prefer. I haven’t tested coconut sugar.
- Eggs- Eggs help bind a recipe and really help give it taste and texture. Make sure these are room temperature as well (on the counter for at least an hour) to help the recipe bind together better. I don’t know if flax eggs would work as an alternative.
- Vanilla extract- No baked good recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work for this. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Baking soda- Helps to produce a light and fluffy and perfectly cooked cookie bar.
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor!
- Chocolate chips– I used semi-sweet for this recipe, but feel free to use anything. Dark, milk, or a mix!
Tips for making the chocolate chip cookie bars:
- Make sure to cover the bars around 30 minutes with foil. This is because they start to brown pretty early. You want to make sure they don’t burn so by covering them with foil, the inside will be able to cook without the outsides burning so they can cook through completely.
- Let them cool completely before cutting. I know, I know no one ever likes this because who the heck can wait? But if you want them to be able to cut into bars, then they have to cool completely! However, if you want to dig in, just grab a spoon and have at it!
Other recipes you may love:
- Simple Sugar Cookie Bars
- Best Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Chip Brookies (Brownies + Cookies)
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 9×9 baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour spoon & leveled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9x9in square baking pan (or any similar size, 8×8 is too small) with oil or butter.
- In a large bowl or standing mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Once combined, add in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, sea salt and mix until everything is incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press dough into your greased pan and add a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. At 30 minutes, take a piece of aluminum foil and gently fold over the pan. This helps prevent the bars from getting too brown.
- Cook until the edges are set and the middle is still soft but not raw. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Enjoy!