Celebrating my birthday with FINALLY sharing my favorite chocolate chip cookie cake! This is our family go-to and our favorite for any and every birthday! It’s so easy to make, it’s soft, and just insanely good. Also, the icing is just incredible, you may even want to double it! Hope it becomes a tradition in your home like it has in ours!
What you need to make chocolate chip cookie cake + substitutions:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, you can just decrease the sea salt to 1/2 tsp in the recipe. Make sure the butter is at room temperature, it makes a huge difference!
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives it that caramel note and adds the perfect sweetness as well as giving the chocolate chip cookie cake that deep rich brown color.
- Granulated sugar- A classic in any recipe. You can use white sugar, cane sugar, whatever you prefer. I haven’t tested coconut sugar myself, but someone has tested it and reported back! She said she substituted with all coconut sugar and it comes out a bit darker and drier as well. So cook closer to 20-22 minutes for timing, but it tastes delicious!
- Egg + Egg yolk- The egg helps bind the recipe and really help give it taste and texture. Make sure these are room temperature as well (on the counter for at least an hour) to help the recipe bind together better. Egg yolks add an extra richness to the cookie cake.
- Vanilla extract- No cookie recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work for this. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Baking soda- Helps to produce a light and fluffy and perfectly cooked cookie cake.
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor!
- Chocolate chips– I used semi-sweet for this recipe, but feel free to use anything you want!
Tips for making the my favorite chocolate chip cookie cake:
- Make sure to take the s’mores cookie bars out of the oven around 20 minutes. They will definitely seem undercooked a little, but you want them nice and soft. Over baking would be so sad!
- Let them cool completely before cutting. I know, I know no one ever likes this because who the heck can wait? But if you want them to be able to cut into bars, then they have to cool completely! However, if you want to dig in, just cut and enjoy the gooey warm goodness!
Other recipes you may love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 9in cake pan
For the Cookie Cake:
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Next add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour in the flour, baking soda, and sea salt and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Lastly, pour in the chocolate chips. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix the chocolate chips until they're evenly distributed.
- Grease a 9in cake pan with butter or oil of choice. Spoon mixture into the pan and flatten to make a giant cookie. You don't have to spread it completely to the sides because it will spread.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until the outside is set and the center is still soft. I prefer mine very soft so I typically do 22 minutes. If you like it a little more done, stick closer to 24-25 minutes.
- Let cake cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cream together all icing ingredients in a medium bowl until the right consistency. Start with 2 tbsp of heavy cream and then add additional if needed.
- Ice cake however you like and enjoy!