The broccoli & cheddar quiche is a delicious meal for a group or the perfect thing to prep and keep in your fridge all week long! It’s vegetarian and loaded with so much flavor from the sautéed broccoli and the cheddar cheese. One of my favorite flavor combos! Traditionally, quiche is a French tart that has a pastry crust with savory fillings like meat, cheese, seafood, and vegetables. They are incredibly versatile and you can even go crustless if you’d like, but I highly suggest the crust! Perfect meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Also a great and easy breakfast for Easter!
What do you need to make broccoli and cheddar quiche + substitutions?
- Eggs- Eggs are basically what a quiche is made of so they are a key ingredient! A lot of people use a smaller number of eggs, but I wanted to use more for bigger, thicker slices of quiche.
- Milk- For milk, I used whole milk mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and then let it sit for about 5 minutes. This makes the milk curdle and resembles buttermilk. You don’t have to do this step, it just adds to the flavor! Regular milk works just fine too. I haven’t tested with any dairy-free milks, but I am assuming they should work. As long as they are just a plain, unsweetened version. It might not get as fluffy though!
- Cheddar cheese- I chose cheddar for this quiche, because I love the flavor combo of broccoli and cheddar. You could obviously use a different cheese for this, but I really liked how it turned out with the cheddar.
- Broccoli- I love how the broccoli gives the quiche a nice crunch and a hearty filling. Of course you can substitute the broccoli for another veggie if you’d like.
- Avocado oil- I used avocado oil to saute the broccoli, but you could use butter, ghee, or olive oil.
- Pie Dough- This is my favorite pie crust recipe from A Cozy Kitchen! I used 1/2 of her double pie crust. The best idea is to make the double pie crust, cut it in half, and wrap and freeze the second half for the next time you want to make quiche or pie! This dough incredibly easy and so delicious. Also, when I made pie dough, I always just pulse it in the food processor until it comes together since I don’t have a pastry cutter. Makes it so easy! You can also buy a store bought pie dough or just go crustless.
Tips for making:
- Sautéing the broccoli is an optional step but will make a huge difference in flavor! Again, you can easily make the quiche without doing it. It will just make it so the broccoli gets a little crisp to it and some fat and seasoning to really boost the flavor.
- Adding a layer of cheese before the broccoli and after will help to make it so the crust doesn’t get to soggy and adds a little extra punch on top of the broccoli!
If you love this broccoli and cheddar quiche, you may also love:
- Sundried Tomato, Arugula, & Feta Egg Bake
- Blueberry French Toast Bake
- Grandma Kitty’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe, enjoy!
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 cups chopped broccoli sautéed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 prepared pie dough I used this one!
- Start by chopping your broccoli into small pieces. In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium high heat. Once warmed, add in the broccoli. Saute with a sprinkle of salt and pepper for about 7-8 minutes until bright green. This step is not required, you can easily just add the chopped broccoli plain, but giving it a little saute will really enhance the flavor! Once the broccoli is done, remove from the pan and let it cool down a little bit.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425F degrees. In a measuring cup, add in the whole milk and 1 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar). Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes until it starts to curdle a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the eggs and whisk together. Next, pour in the milk and cheese. Reserve a sprinkle of cheese for later or just add more.
- Add in the salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix until incorporated.
- Roll out your pie dough in a circle and fill your pie dish with the dough.
- Next, add a thin layer of cheese on the pie dough to help prevent the crust from getting too soggy.
- Next, pour the broccoli over the cheese. Sprinkle another thin layer of cheese on top of the broccoli.
- Pour the egg mixture over the broccoli. Bake your quiche in the oven at 425F degrees for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 350F degrees and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes. You want the crust and eggs golden brown. Mine took 35 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack, slice, and enjoy!