What is possibly cuter than a mini baked oatmeal for one? I recently made a larger version of this flavor and I can’t get enough of the flavor! I figured I’d take my individual baked oatmeal recipe and turn it lemon poppyseed. Sometimes you just want one serving, you know?! It’s so simple to make and full of delicious things to satisfy your tastebuds and your tummy!
What is baked oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is oatmeal baked in the oven making breakfast incredibly easy. You can make it ahead so that all you have to do is warm it in the morning or eat it straight from the fridge (which I often do)! It’s a great simple breakfast or snack option. It tastes like dessert and it’s just so delicious!
What you need to make lemon poppyseed baked oatmeal + substitutions:
- Quick oats- I love using quick oats, because it gives it the best texture! This is my absolutely favorite way to make baked oatmeal, it gives it a dense brownie-like. You can substitute with rolled oats, which will make it a little more chewy and still fabulous!! Steel cut won’t work.
- Almond milk- You can definitely substitute with almond milk, dairy milk, whatever milk. Cashew does help add to the cookie dough flavor, but it’s not required.
- Banana- The mashed banana gives it a little sweetness as well as makes it for lack of a better word, moist.
- Vanilla protein– I used Nuzest vanilla protein (you can use the lex for 15% off), which I love! You can use any protein powder, but mine does add a little sweetness. So if yours doesn’t you can always add in 1/2-1 tbsp maple syrup or drizzle on top!
- Lemon Juice- Lemon obviously gives the lemon flavor, so I wouldn’t substitute with anything else.
- Lemon zest- This is what really makes the flavor so bright! The zest just adds the best zing and vibrancy. I wouldn’t skip it!
- Poppyseed- This makes it poppyseed of course. However, if you want, you could substitute for chia seeds for the same look but not the exact same flavor.
- Baking powder- Baking powder helps the oatmeal to rise.
- Cinnamon– I just love cinnamon in any baked recipe. This just adds a nice little touch!
- Vanilla extract- A key to any baked recipe in my opinion.
- Sea salt- I don’t bake anything without salt. It’s what helps bring the flavor out in a recipe.
Tips for making:
- Quick oats vs rolled oats- Like I said above, quick oats will give it a denser, more cake-like texture and is what I prefer. Rolled oats will still work, they will just create a more crumbly texture.
- For the best texture- You want to make sure the lemon poppyseed baked oatmeal is still soft in the center but cooked through. That way it comes out nice and soft.
Other Baked Oatmeals you may like:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Mini Lemon Poppyseed Baked Oatmeal
- ½ ripe banana mashed
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup cashew milk or milk of choice
- 1 scoop vanilla protein
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp or a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a small bowl, mash banana.
- Next, add in the rest of the ingredients: oats, milk, protein, lemon juice, lemon zest, poppy seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and sea salt. Mix until well combined.
- Grease your ramekin (I used a 4.5" diameter & 6 oz. capacity) or any similar size dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the inside is set but still soft. Enjoy warm and top with whatever you like! I did cashew butter & a little lemon zest.