These easy chocolate chip brookies are officially my ultimate dessert! I can never decide whether I like brownies or cookies better, but my problem is solved! Bake them together and it’s pretty much the best dessert of all time. Also, it’s incredibly easy! Top a piece off with a little vanilla ice cream, and talk about the best dessert ever! Add oreos and talk about a LEVEL UP!
What are easy chocolate chip brookies?
Brookies= brownies + cookies. All you do is take your favorite cookie recipe (I of course used my Best Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies) and your favorite brownie recipe or mix (I used Ghiradelli) and layer them together in a baking pan. Bake in the oven and that’s it! You have what looks like a brownie, but has a layer of chocolate chip cookie on the bottom! If you want to level them up, you can make the second option with oreos in between!
What do you need to make brookies?
- Brownie mix- You can use any boxed brownie mix that you prefer. Ghiradelli is hands down my favorite. We buy the giant box (6 count) of the triple chocolate from Costco.
- Cookie dough- You could totally use store bought cookie dough. However, f you haven’t tried my Best Salted Chocolate chip cookie recipe yet, it’s a MUST! The most popular recipe on my blog and for good reason!
- Oreos- If using! I actually used the Trader Joe’s original jojo’s cookies, but you can essentially use any cookie you prefer that is like an oreo!
- Peanut butter cups & sprinkles- If you choose to go this route, I added Justin’s peanut butter cups and fun festive fall sprinkles!
Tips for making them:
- Make your cookie dough ahead. I suggest going ahead and making my cookie dough recipe. You could save yourself and go ahead and make the full batch (below is only half the recipe) and then use half of the batch in the brookies and roll the other half of the recipe into balls. Put them in the freezer and have cookies to bake from the freezer anytime you’re craving one! More tips and tricks on my chocolate chip cookie recipe here!
- Let the bars cool completely before cutting. This is seriously always the worst part. If you want a clean line in the cutting, you have to wait until they’re cooled. If you don’t, dig in!
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper. This makes it so the brookies are super easy to get out of the pan to cut once cooled.
- Cut with a plastic knife- I learned this from one of my favorites, Naptime Kitchen! The brownies won’t stick
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
Easy Chocolate Chip Brookies (Brownies + Cookies)
- 9×9 baking pan
For the Cookies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup semi- sweet chocolate chips
For the Brownies:
- 1 box ghiradelli brownie mix
Optional Addition (1):
- 9-16 oreos or a similar version
Optional Addition (2):
- 6-10 mini peanut butter cups cut in half
- sprinkles any color or season!
For the Brownies:
- Follow recipe instructions on the back of the box. Mine called for 1 egg, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup oil. I always add vanilla extract and substitute some or all of the water with strong coffee or espresso to bring out the chocolate flavor.
For the Cookies:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter & sugar with a hand mixer until smooth & incorporated. Add in the eggs & vanilla extract & mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, salt, & baking soda. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Sprinkle in the chocolate chips. Using a spatula, mix in the chocolate chips. The batter should be thick and sticky.
For the Brookies:
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Grease a 9×9 baking pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
- Press the chocolate chip cookie mixture into the bottom to create a layer. If using, add the oreos on top in a single layer or skip this step.
- Pour the prepared brownie mixture over that and bring to the edges.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Make sure not to overbake. It's okay if the brownies feel slightly underdone in the middle. They will harden more as they cool!
- Let cool completely! If you're adding peanut butter cups, cut them in half and layer on top of the cooled brownies with a sprinkle of sprinkles. Enjoy!
Pls I’m so bad in calculating cups in grams. Could bulls help me the whole recipe in grms please🙏🏽🙏🏽. Really appreciate it and many thanks in advance
Hi! I apologize that you don’t have the recipes in grams. We will try to fix the website to move that over!❤️
Pingback: Best Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes – RESTORING RADIANCE
Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – RESTORING RADIANCE
Pingback: Valentine's Day Dessert Roundup - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Super Bowl Recipes Round-Up - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Spring Funfetti Cookie Pops - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Pops - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Best Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies - Daddio's Kitchen