This is the best chicken salad hands down in my opinion! The recipe comes from my mother-in-law, and it’s absolutely delicious. This is my go-to chicken salad recipe and when you try it you’ll see why. Thomas always used to tell me his mom made the best chicken salad. Now that I’ve tried it for myself, I must say he is VERY right! She loads it up with all the flavor and all that green onions gives it the best taste. I am obsessed! This will be another recipe that will be sticking around our household! Enjoy!
What you need to make the best chicken salad + substitutions:
- Chicken breasts- Chicken breasts are ideal here for chicken salad. I made chicken in the crockpot for this recipe, but you could also use rotisserie chicken or any shredded chicken.
- Chicken stock- You can use chicken stock when making the crockpot chicken or even use water if needed.
- Lemon juice- The lemon juice adds a nice vibrant flavor and helps to soften the chicken in the crockpot.
- Dried parsley- The dried parsley adds a nice flavor to the chicken.
- Celery- Celery adds a nice crunch, color, and flavor to this chicken salad. Thomas’ mom always adds in the celery heart and leaves on top which I love using in there!
- Red grapes- Chicken salad isn’t complete without grapes in my opinion. I love how it adds sweetness, crunch, color, and texture!
- Green onions- The green onions give such a good onion flavor. You could skip them if you prefer, but honestly I love them in here.
- Avocado oil mayonnaise- We aren’t big mayo fans in this house, but whenever we buy mayo we usually go with the avocado mayo when we can. We usually buy the Chosen Foods one from Costco.
- Greek yogurt- Greek yogurt helps to add even more protein and creaminess. You can use only mayonnaise but I love the mix of both.
If you love this, you may also love:
The Best Chicken Salad
- 3 chicken breasts (about 1-1½ lbs)
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1-2 stalks celery I love to include the celery heart (the small little parts of the celery inside) as well as the leaves!
- ½-1 cup red grapes sliced (up to you how many you like)
- 5 green onions chopped
- ⅓-½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓-½ cup plain greek yogurt we prefer full-fat
- ½ tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- You can rotisserie chicken, shredded chicken or crockpot chicken. It's up to you! We made our chicken in the crockpot and here's how.
- In a crockpot, add in the chicken breasts, chicken stock, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, & dried parsley. Cook on low for about 4 hours or until cooked through and shreds easily.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from crockpot with the juices and let cool. Shred or cut chicken however you like yours in your chicken salad.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the chicken, celery, green onions, & grapes. Add salt & pepper, to taste. Add in the mix of mayo & yogurt. Everyone likes a different amount of creaminess on their chicken salad so use it to your liking, but it should be about a 1:1 ratio of mayo to yogurt.
- Stir it up until incorporated! Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. It tastes the best the next day or after a few hours of the flavors marinating together! Enjoy however you like: on a sandwich or wrap, in a salad, with crackers, have fun!