Chicken sausage & pepper rolls are a delicious & super easy meal! They come together in a pinch and use minimal ingredients. The sausages can be cooked inside or on the grill. We went with chicken sausages this time, but you could of course use pork sausages as well. This is a favorite combination of ours and we loved changing it up with chicken sausage! Quick, simple, and full of flavor!
What you need to make chicken sausage & pepper rolls + substitutions:
- Chicken sausage- Honestly we love a good Italian sausage, but there weren’t many good options at our grocery store this time around. So we went with chicken sausage and honestly it was phenomenal! There are so many good chicken sausages out there now. We love Aidell’s (we find them at Costco), Bilinski’s, etc.
- Peppers- I mean peppers, onions and sausage just go together. They’re the best pair!
- Yellow onions- The onions get all caramelized and really add such good flavor to these.
- Avocado oil- Whenever we’re cooking with high heat, we always use avocado oil. We buy a giant one from Costco and it’s the best for sautéing.
- Hot dog buns- You can use hot dog buns or hoagie rolls. Since our chicken sausages weren’t that big, we went for hot dog buns for this recipe. They fit the sausages perfectly.
- Mustard- Mustard is a very important addition! It definitely makes it. We just went with a plain yellow mustard.
Equipment we used:
- Cast Iron Grill Pan– You can easily do this one outside on the grill or in just a regular cast iron pan! However, we love this grill pan & it’s what we used for these chicken sausage & pepper rolls.
If you love this, you may also love:
Chicken Sausage & Pepper Rolls
Chicken sausage & pepper rolls are a delicious & super easy meal! They come together in a pinch and use minimal ingredients. The sausages can be cooked inside or on the grill. We went with chicken sausages this time, but you could use pork sausages as well. This is a favorite combination of ours and we loved changing it up with chicken sausage! Quick, simple, and full of flavor!
- Cast Iron Grill Pan Our favorite here
- 6 chicken sausages
- 2-3 bell peppers sliced into strips
- 1 yellow onion sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- hot dog buns or hoagie rolls
- yellow mustard
- In a cast iron skillet, heat with avocado oil. Add in your peppers and onions. Season with ½ tsp sea salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Saute until cooked to your desired consistency.
- On the grill or in a cast iron pan/ grill pan, cook your chicken sausage until browned and cooked through.
- Toast your buns using whatever you used to cook your chicken sausages.
- To assemble, start with your bun, add your chicken sausage, peppers and onions, and a drizzle of yellow mustard. Enjoy!
- For the kids, we just served them like hot dogs. They ate them without the peppers and onions and loved them.
For Storing: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days!
Pingback: Our Favorite Easy Cheeseburgers - Daddio's Kitchen
Pingback: Easy Steak & Cheese Roll - Daddio's Kitchen