These easy steak and cheese rolls are a classic favorite that never disappoints. They are a simple, yet delicious combination of steak, melted cheese, and crispy roll. The steak is usually a thin cut, so it grills up quickly and is full of flavor. The cheese of choice is usually American, but any type of cheese will do. The roll is typically a hoagie or a sub roll but we opted for our homemade sourdough baguette. We cooked the peppers and onions together and then added the steak finished by the cheese. The result is a warm, hearty sandwich that’s full of flavor and sure to satisfy.
What you need to make these easy steak & cheese rolls + substitutions:
- Ribeye Steak- We used our butcherbox ribeye steak which came out so nice! We’ve been getting our meat from ButcherBox and we LOVE it. There are so many recommendations on the choice of meat, but our preference is the ribeye. My other recommendations, not in any special order, are sirloin, round eye and flank steak.
- Peppers- We shave the peppers thin so they cook faster. Peppers add such a nice flavor and great compliment to this easy steak and cheese roll.
- Yellow onions- We shave the yellow onions very thin so they cook quickly as well. The yellow onions get caramelized and really add such a nice sweet flavor when cooked. White onions would work as well.
- Avocado oil- Whenever we’re cooking with high heat, we always use avocado oil. We buy a giant one from Costco and it’s the best for sautéing.
- Salt & pepper- Sea salt and pepper are the perfect pair. Our favorite salt is Redmond Sea Salt and we buy it in bulk. You can use the code daddioskitchen for 15% off.
- Sourdough baguettes- We have been making all things sourdough, so naturally, we made our baguettes. However, you can use store-bought, hoagie rolls, whatever you prefer. We’ve even eaten them over rice and it’s delicious!
- Provolone cheese- We used sliced deli provolone cheese which complimented the steak well. But avoid aged provolone as it does not melt as well and can be over empowering. My recommendations are mozzarella, white American cheese and yellow American. Many famous Philly subs use cheeze wiz; however, nothing against cheeze wiz, we just prefer real cheese.
- Cast Iron Skillet- These are our favorite cast irons pan! We have basically gotten to the point where we only cook with cast iron and stainless steel. The pans are nontoxic and work so well. We love the Lodge brand.
If you love this, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making this recipe! Enjoy friends!
Easy Steak & Cheese Roll
- Cast Iron 12in Pan We have this one!
- 2 ribeye steaks (sliced thin; if partially frozen it's easier to shave thin)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 3 bell peppers any color you want sliced thin
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 baguettes
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees.
- Heat pan and add avocado oil once it's hot.
- Add sliced onions and peppers to the pan. Mix well. Add half of the sea salt and black pepper.
- In the same pan push the peppers and onions to the side to make a hole in the center. Make sure peppers and onions are cooked down. Add the shaved steak in the middle. Coat with the remaining seasoning and mix together.
- The steak should cook fast but you can toss everything together. Cook until steak is no longer pink.
- Turn off the stove. Add sliced cheese on top of pan making sure to cover all peppers, onions and steak.
- Place pan in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve on a roll and if you'd you like, you can add mayonnaise, lettuce and/ or tomato. Enjoy!