These cinnamon french toast sticks are one of the boys favorite breakfasts! They’re so easy to make and a great balanced breakfast. I always love making extra to freeze to have for an easy breakfast to pull out anytime. You can thaw them for a few minutes on the counter and reheat right in the toaster. The recipe is so simple, but it’s my go-to way to do it. The boys don’t always love eggs these days so it’s a great way to get in some nutrients with a breakfast that they love, plus it’s absolutely delicious!
What you need to make cinnamon french toast sticks + substitutions:
- Sourdough bread- Our family’s favorite sourdough sandwich bread recipe is THIS one. It’s so soft and perfect and really so easy. I love all the added benefits of sourdough! If I’m not making sourdough, I love using dave’s killer bread or the Aldi bread that’s basically the Dave’s knock off.
- Eggs- I love using eggs for these cinnamon french toast sticks. They add protein, nutrients, and are required for french toast in my opinion!
- Whole milk– We recently signed up for a farm share and have been getting local raw dairy. It is SO good and I’ve been adding it to every recipe I possibly can! Raw dairy is definitely controversial, but I’ve been researching it like crazy and I jumped on the train and I’m likely not stopping. We love it! If you’re local, we’ve been using Golden Valley Farms and love them. If you want dairy free, I’ve been using this coconut milk and it’s so great. Pure coconut milk and full fat which is great for our brains, but any dairy or non-dairy milk works fine!
- Cinnamon- The cinnamon is obviously a main ingredient here. It adds sweetness and spice. Fun fact, it also helps to stabilize blood sugar so it’s great to balance with the maple syrup!
- Vanilla extract- A key to basically all baked goods in my opinion.
- Sea salt- We use sea salt for every single thing we make. Sweet and savory because it brings out the flavor. Our favorite brand of sea salt is hands down Redmond! We recently got a discount code daddioskitchen for 15% off!
- Coconut oil- I love using coconut oil for cooking pancakes and french toast for the kids occasionally to change it up. We usually use Kerrygold butter for most things, but sometimes I’ll do the coconut oil to get some variety.
If you love these, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Cinnamon French Toast Sticks
- 6 slices bread I use sourdough or Dave's killer bread
- 2 eggs
- ⅓-½ cup whole milk or full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tbsp coconut oil or butter
- In flat dish, mix together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt. If you're bread is bigger, use ½ cup milk and if it's smaller (like the dave's killer bread thin sliced) then you only need ⅓ cup milk.
- Dip your bread slices in the mixture on each side and make sure to coat them really well.
- Heat a cast iron or pan with coconut oil or butter. Cook each piece of bread on on both sides until golden brown.
- Cut them into sticks. Serve with fruit, butter and maple syrup. Enjoy!