This creamy white chicken chili is the perfect easy meal to cozy up with this fall! It’s creamy, hearty, and loaded with all the flavor. Serve it with chips, cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, avocado, and you have a warm and cozy meal. I’d also suggest doubling it and freezing half because I promise you’re going to want to have extra! The hardest part is slicing the onions and the rest is just thrown in the pot! I actually made this recipe years ago, but I let Thomas perfect the version and I must say, he NAILED it. It’s so much better!!
What you need to make creamy white chicken chili + substitutions:
- Vidalia onions- The vidalia onions add a nice sweetness to the recipe. You can use yellow or white onion if you need.
- Garlic cloves- Garlic is ideal in basically every savory recipe. You can substitute with 1 tsp garlic powder if needed.
- Canned diced green chilis- I buy the mild diced green chilis. If you like spicy, you can buy hot, but we like it mild for the kids.
- Cannellini beans- The white beans add a nice thickness and heartiness. If you’d like dairy-free like my original recipe, you can replace the heavy cream with blended white beans. Take 1 cup of the white beans from the can and blend in a blender with a little chicken broth until a creamy consistency. Add that right into the soup after the chicken broth instead of heavy cream!
- Chicken- You need 2 cups of shredded chicken. We used rotisserie but you could also bake chicken and shred or crockpot chicken and shred. Any will work!
- Frozen corn- We had frozen corn but you can used canned. Both work fine and you don’t even need to thaw your frozen corn.
- Chicken stock- We have a bunch of chicken stock from Costco so that’s what we used, but feel free to substitute with chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Heavy cream- Heavy cream is what is really going to give you that creamy texture and flavor. If you want to use whole milk, half and half or even coconut cream, you can. I haven’t tested it myself, and I know it definitely won’t lend the same flavor and taste, but you can try it if you want!
- Lime- Adds a really nice touch and brightness to the chili!
If you love this, you may also love:
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 2 sweet vidalia onions
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 8 oz canned diced green chilis
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- 1 cup corn frozen or canned
- 2 cups shredded chicken we use rotisserie chicken
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp lime
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt more to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large pot, heat avocado oil.
- Add in the chopped onions and chopped garlic. Saute until cooked down a good bit.
- Then add in the diced green chilis, drained and rinsed white beans, and corn. Stir until all mixed together.
- Add in all the seasonings: cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour in the chopped chicken and mix again. Next add in the lime juice and chicken broth. Stir. Pour in heavy cream.
- Bring the chili to a light boil and then reduce the heat to simmer. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes!
- Serve with shredded cheese, chips, avocado cubes, cilantro, and jalapeño!