This sausage and egg breakfast casserole is a delicious and filling dish that is perfect for breakfast or brunch. It’s a popular dish that’s usually served at holiday gatherings and family brunches. It’s also a great way to get in some nutrient dense foods and quality protein in the morning. Make a batch and have breakfast prepped and ready for the next few days! Hope you enjoy!
What you need to make this sausage & egg breakfast casserole + substitutions:
Eggs- We use organic pasture raised eggs. Our favorite eggs are either Vital Farms or the ones from Trader Joes because the price and quality cannot be beat. Any egg preference works.
Milk- Adding raw milk, heavy cream, half & half, or even unsweetened soy milk (if your dairy-free) to the eggs just prevents them from getting rubbery when reheating. It also soaks into the bread and adds more protein.
Butter- We cooked our sausage in butter, because that’s what we prefer. It’s also a very nutrient dense fat so it’s one of our top choices. You could also use ghee, avocado oil, whatever you usually use.
Cheddar cheese- Any cheese of your liking also works here. We went with a block of cheddar cheese. You could easily do another variety and also buy pre-shredded. We personally like to shred it ourselves.
Sausage- We used ground sausage as our protein because everyone likes it. Bacon, ground turkey or any sweet, mild or hot sausage links would work as well. We get all our meat from Butcher Box and love it!
Sourdough bread- We used my artisan sourdough bread. This is a great time to use up stale bread. I keep slices of my sourdough bread in the freezer and I just went ahead and thawed slices on the counter and then just chopped them into cubes. You can use any bread you prefer, but a thick, crusty bread works best to soak up the liquid.
Spinach- Spinach pairs well with the eggs and it’s an easy way to add in some veggie!
If you love this, you may also love:
- Sundried Tomato, Arugula, & Feta Egg Bake
- Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche
- Easy Freezer Breakfast Burritos
Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb sausage cooked & drained
- 1 tbsp grassfed butter
- 3-4 cups spinach chopped
- 4 cups sourdough bread chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat a medium to large size pan. Once it's hot add butter. Then add your ground sausage. Season with a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper. Break it up and let it cook for a few minutes until no longer pink.
- Then add in the spinach and let it wilt down. Set aside or remove from the pan and let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in eggs, milk, cheese, 1 tsp sea salt and ½ tsp pepper.
- In a 9×13 pan, add the sausage on the bottom and make sure it's cooled. Add the chopped bread on top. Pour the egg mixture over top and mix everything together.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and let it soak in the fridge for 1-24 hours. The longer the better!
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Remove the pan from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. Put in the oven and back for 40-45 minutes until it's set.
- Let cool, slice and eat! To serve, reheat and enjoy!
Pingback: Sausage & Egg Breakfast Casserole — Daddio’s Kitchen | My Meals are on Wheels