Apple pie baked oatmeal is basically apple pie for breakfast. Is there anything better? It’s sweet, hearty, full of flavor, and will fuel you up for your day! Loaded with lots of nutrients and delicious things to nourish your body. I. You can even put ice cream on it for a little dessert! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
What is baked oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is oatmeal baked in a pan making breakfast incredibly easy. You can make it ahead so that all you have to do is warm it in the morning or eat it straight from the fridge (which I often do)! It’s a great simple breakfast or snack option. It tastes like dessert and it’s just so delicious!
What you need to make apple pie baked oatmeal + substitutions:
- Quick oats- I love using quick oats, because it gives it the best texture! This is my absolute favorite way to make baked oatmeal, it gives it a dense brownie-like texture. You can substitute with rolled oats, which will make it a little more chewy/ crumbly, but still fabulous!! Steel cut oats won’t work for this one.
- Cashew milk- Feel free to substitute with almond milk, dairy milk, whatever milk. Doesn’t make a difference!
- Maple syrup– Maple syrup is my preferred sweetener but you can also use honey or brown sugar.
- Greek yogurt- Greek yogurt gives a little extra protein and helps the baked oatmeal stay nice and moist. You can also substitute the greek yogurt with applesauce and mashed banana.
- Coconut oil- Another substitute is ghee or butter. You can also omit the coconut oil and just increase the greek yogurt to 1/2 cup!
- Eggs- The eggs helps bind the recipe. You could substitute with flax or chia eggs.
- Vanilla extract- A key to any baked good in my opinion!
- Baking powder- Baking powder helps the oatmeal to rise.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon gives it the perfect spice.
- Nutmeg- Nutmeg adds the perfect little spice and flavor to this apple pie baked oatmeal.
- Sea salt- I don’t bake anything without salt. It’s what helps bring the flavor out in a recipe.
- Apples- You can use any variety of apple! I love gala or honeycrisp. Use whatever variety you enjoy!
Tips for making:
- Quick oats vs rolled oats- Like I said above, quick oats will give it a denser, more cake-like texture and is what I prefer.
- For the best texture- You want to make sure the oatmeal is still soft in the center but cooked through. That way it comes out soft rather than a hard!
- You can make this recipe in a single pan or into 9 regular sized muffin cups. If you change the size of the pan just make sure to adjust your cook time and check it!
If you love these, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Apple Pie Baked Oatmeal
- 9×9 baking pan OR regular muffin tin
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1¾ cups cashew milk or any dairy or dairy-free milk
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt or applesauce or mashed banana
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted (or ghee or butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2-3 small apples chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together. Add in maple syrup, yogurt, cashew milk, cooled coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Once combined, pour in the oats, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the chopped apples.
- Pour into a greased 9×9 baking pan. You can also use another size baking dish, just adjust cooking times if needed. A regular 12 cup muffin tin works great too! Sprinkle with more chopped apples if you'd like!
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until the center is set but still soft.
- I love serving mine with yogurt, fruit, and peanut butter! Enjoy!