This hearty vegetable tortellini soup is exactly what you need for a cozy dinner! We loaded it with extra veggies for some added nutrients and bulk! This might be one of my favorite soups for the fall. It’s hearty and full of tortellini which are one of my favorite pastas. Top it off with some extra parmesan and you have yourself a crowd pleaser!
What you need to make hearty vegetable tortellini soup + substitutions:
- Tortellini– You can use any tortellini you’d like. We used the four cheese tortellini from Whole Foods, but I heard Costco has a great one too!
- Onion- I feel like all good soups have onions in the base for flavor.
- Carrots & celery- We added carrots and celery for some extra vegetables and bulk!
- Kale– We loved the addition of kale for some extra green. You could definitely use spinach too, but I prefer kale in this soup.
- Garlic- Another classic for a soup base. You can’t skimp on the garlic.
- Chicken broth- We used chicken stock, because we buy a big batch from Costco. You could just use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or beef broth.
- Heavy cream- Heavy cream is what adds the creaminess in. You can skip it if you like, but I highly suggest it!
- Tomato paste- The tomato paste adds a little thickness as well as flavor. Perfect addition to this hearty vegetable tortellini soup.
- Canned crushed tomatoes- We had whole peeled tomatoes and just blended them up. However, it’s easier to just go ahead and use crushed tomatoes. We prefer San Marzano!
- Parmesan- Cheese makes everything even better, am I right? You can’t skip the fresh parmesan!
If you love this, you may also love:
Hearty Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 stalks celery chopped
- 6 medium carrots chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes we prefer San Marzano
- 48-64 oz chicken broth depending on how much you like
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 22 oz frozen or fresh tortellini
- 2 cups kale chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley optional, for garnish
- In a large stockpot, heat your olive oil.
- Once warmed, add in your onions and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the fresh garlic and let cook for another minute.
- Next, add in the chopped carrots and celery. Season with sea salt and pepper. Let everything cook down for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in the tomato paste and crushed tomatoes and mix until everything is combined.
- Then add in the chicken stock (I'd start with about 48oz or 1 1/2 containers) heavy cream, and parmesan. Mix and let cook for a few minutes and bring it to a light boil. You can season with some more salt and pepper.
- Next, add in the tortellini and let them cook until soft and tender. About 4-5 minutes. Add in the chopped kale and let wilt down. You can turn the heat down to low.
- The pasta will soak your liquid, so if you want to add any more chicken broth you can here! Taste and season with anymore salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with fresh parsley if you'd like and enjoy!