These are seriously the best homemade fudgy brownies! They truly go beyond all my brownie expectations and more. I’m usually a Ghiradelli boxed brownie girl, but these are officially my favorites for when I want to spend a couple extra minutes, and they’re truly so simple! They are rich and crazy good. These brownies are VERY dense, truly almost taste and feel like fudge, and are so full of chocolate goodness. The recipe is based off the Betty Crocker brownie recipe with just a few changes per my sister-in-law!
What you need to make the best homemade fudgy brownies + substitutions:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, you can still keep the salt ratio in the blondies the same!
- Unsweetened baking chocolate- You want to make sure the chocolate is unsweetened! You’re adding a lot of sugar to the recipe, so you want the chocolate flavor and richness but you don’t want the sweetness. So just make sure your chocolate says unsweetened. Very key to the best homemade fudgy brownies!
- Granulated sugar- The granulated sugar gives it the perfect sweetness. It seems like a lot because is is, but I promise it makes the brownies insane!
- Eggs- Eggs help bind a recipe and really help give it taste and texture. Best if used at room temperature, but will work fine if they aren’t. I don’t think flax eggs would work as an alternative.
- Vanilla extract- No baked good recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work in this recipe. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor in the brownies!
Tips for making them:
- To get a clean line when cutting the best homemade fudgy brownies, either use a plastic knife or wet your knife a little bit! Both work like a charm!
- When mixing the sugar, eggs, and vanilla, make sure you do it on high for 5 minutes. You want the mixture to get light in color and fluff up. I promise this makes a huge difference in the brownies.
- These 8×8 bakings pans are my favorite! I use USA pans for all my baking needs!
If you love these, you may also love:
- Easy Chocolate Chip Brookies (Brownies + Cookies)
- The Best Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Frosting
The Best Homemade Fudgy Brownies
- 8×8 baking pan
- ¾ cup unsalted butter or 1½ sticks
- 6 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- flaky sea salt for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a small pot, melt together butter and chocolate on low heat. Stir constantly. Once fully melted, remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, add eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract to a medium mixing bowl. Beat on high for about 5 minutes until mixture becomes pale white and fluffs up a bit.
- Slowly add the chocolate mixture to the bowl with the egg and sugar mixture while mixing at the same time. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add in the flour and sea salt and mix one last time until just incorporated.
- Pour into a greased and lined 8×8 baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes. I cook mine closer to 40 minutes for extra fudgy. Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!
- Cut into 9-16 pieces depending on what you prefer! Best cut with a plastic knife or wet your sharp knife for clean lines!