These s’mores cookie bars are the epitome of summer! They are based off my S’mores Cookies, but in bar form! All you need is one bowl and mostly ingredients you might already have. Fluffy from the marshmallows, perfect chewy and doughy. All the best flavors from s’mores but in cookie form, yes please! Such a great recipe to feed a crowd as well, just double the recipe! Also delicious when topped with vanilla ice cream, but isn’t everything?
What you need to make s’mores cookie bars + substitutions:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, you don’t even have to change anything. Make sure the butter is at room temperature, it makes a huge difference!
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives it that caramel note and adds the perfect sweetness as well as giving them that deep rich brown color.
- Granulated sugar- A classic in any recipe. You can use white sugar, cane sugar, whatever you prefer. I haven’t tested coconut sugar.
- Egg- The egg helps bind the recipe and really help give it taste and texture. Make sure these are room temperature as well (on the counter for at least an hour) to help the recipe bind together better. I don’t know if flax eggs would work as an alternative.
- Vanilla extract- No cookie recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work for this. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Baking soda- Helps to produce a light and fluffy and perfectly cooked cookie bar.
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor!
- Chocolate chips– I used semi-sweet for this recipe, but feel free to use anything. Dark, milk, or even your favorite chocolate bar chopped up!
- Marshmallows- You have to have marshmallows for s’mores! I used mini marshmallows, because they work best in these s’mores cookie bars!
- Graham crackers- Adds the perfect extra sweetness and flavor to make them s’mores.
Tips for making the s’mores cookie bars:
- Make sure to take the s’mores cookie bars out of the oven around 20 minutes. They will definitely seem undercooked a little, but you want them nice and soft. Over baking would be so sad!
- Let them cool completely before cutting. I know, I know no one ever likes this because who the heck can wait? But if you want them to be able to cut into bars, then they have to cool completely! However, if you want to dig in, just cut and enjoy the gooey warm goodness!
Other recipes you may love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy friends!
S’mores Cookie Bars
- 8×8 baking pan
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup light or dark brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour spoon & leveled
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup graham crackers crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 8x8in square baking pan (or any similar size) with oil or butter.
- In a large bowl or standing mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Once combined, add in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, sea salt and mix until everything is incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips, graham crackers, and marshmallows. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Press dough into your greased pan and add a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Cook until the edges are set and the middle is still soft but not raw.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars for a cleaner cut. If you don't care, dig right in because they are delicious warm! Enjoy!