These super easy pepperoni calzones are so easy to make, loaded with cheese and pepperonis, and perfect for our family movie night! We usually try to do pizza most Friday’s but thought it’d be fun to change it up with some calzones. I used store bought dough making it easy as ever. You just load the insides with whatever you’d like. We chose cheese and pepperoni and then you bake! Technically this isn’t really a full recipe, but I feel like it deserves a spot on the blog so you can always come back to it if needed.
What you need to make super easy pepperoni calzones + substitutions:
- Pizza dough- I once learned from a pizza place owner that if you’re going to buy store-bought pizza dough, buy Whole Foods. He said it’s the best quality out there! So that’s what we always go with. You can also typically buy pizza dough from your favorite local pizza places. If you ask, they’ll usually sell it to you! Or you can always make homemade dough. It’s super easy, but sometimes store-bought feels so much easier in this season of life with little kids!
- Marinara or pizza sauce- Our go-to bottled sauce is forever and always Rao’s. I mean there are a ton of good ones, but no store-bought beats Rao’s in our opinion. You can buy their pizza sauce, but I always just use their classic marinara. We just two giant jars from Costco, so we always have some in the pantry.
- Shredded pizza cheese- I used the shredded pizza blend cheese from Whole Foods. It has a mix of mozzarella, provolone, and asiago. You could also just use shredded mozzarella and a mix of parmesan if you’d like. Either would work for these super easy pepperoni calzones.
- Pepperoni- We chose pepperoni because the kids love it too!
- Eggs- You use egg for the egg wash on the outside. You don’t have to use it, but it does help to give it a little brown and crisp.
If you love this, you may also love:
Alright, let’s get to making the recipe! Enjoy!
Super Easy Pepperoni Calzones
- 22 oz pizza dough ball
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese or shredded mozzarella
- 24 pepperonis
- 1 egg whisked
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Make sure your dough ball is at room temperature. Cut your ball into 8 pieces of the same size.
- Flour your surface. Start with pressing out 1 dough ball to make a mini looking pizza. Get it stretched as much as you can without ripping or making it too thin.
- Fill the center but a little closer to one edge with about 2 tbsp sauce, 2 tbsp cheese, and 3 pepperoni. Then pull the side over the topping to connect the edges making the calzone shape.
- Next press the edges so that the bottom edge is pulled over the top to enclose the calzone. You can press the edges with a fork all the way around as well to help it stay closed.
- I forgot to do this, but add a small slash on top of each calzone. This will help them to not explode out of the edges when it's baking. Brush the calzone with a little egg wash and you can sprinkle it with sea salt or even parmesan if you'd like!
- Place the calzone on a lined baking sheet. Repeat with the other 7 dough balls!
- Once they're all on the baking sheet, bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until a little browned. Mine took 20 minutes! Top with parsley, serve with more marinara and enjoy!