These are the best chocolate chip blondies because they’re chewy, full of chocolate, and ridiculously easy. All you need is one bowl and mostly ingredients might already have! They come together SO quickly! They’re soft, a little doughy and absolutely fantastic. This is an easy recipe to make with kids too! Also, good news, there’s NO waiting for your butter to come to room temperature! You melt it, which means you can make these anytime!
What you need to make the best chocolate chip blondies + substitutions:
- Unsalted butter- You can use salted as well but I always go for unsalted in baking. If you use salted, you can still keep the salt ratio in the blondies the same!
- Brown sugar- Brown sugar gives it that caramel note and adds the perfect sweetness as well as giving them that deep rich brown color.
- Egg and Egg Yolk- Eggs help bind a recipe and really help give it taste and texture. Using one egg yolk adds richness and just makes the blondies so velvety. Best if used at room temperature, but will work fine if they aren’t. I don’t think flax eggs would work as an alternative.
- Vanilla extract- No baked good recipe is complete without vanilla extract in my opinion. It’s key!
- All-purpose flour- I typically bake with all-purpose flour. Almond and coconut flour do not have the same measurements so they will not work in this recipe. However, gluten-free 1:1 all-purpose flour should work just fine. Make sure to find one with xantham gum, I love Bob’s Red Mill, but any should do.
- Baking powder- Helps to produce a light and fluffy and perfectly cooked cookie bar.
- Sea salt- Salt is key in a baked good, because it really helps to bring out the flavor!
- Chocolate chips- I used chocolate chips but you could easily use chocolate chunks, chopped chocolate, etc. The original recipe used Easter M&M’s to make it festive, but you could substitute with any kind of holiday M&M to make it fun!
Tips for making them:
- Let them cool completely before cutting. I know, I know no one ever likes this because who the heck can wait? But if you want them to be able to cut into your blondies, then they have to cool completely! However, if you want to dig in, I’m not stopping you!
- Make sure your butter is cooled before adding in the eggs. Melt your butter and then set it aside in the bowl to cool for a little bit. You just want to make sure it’s not hot enough to cook the eggs a little when you mix them together.
- These 8×8 bakings pans are my favorite! I use USA pans for all my baking needs!
If you love this one, you may also love:
Alright, that’s all, let’s get to making them! Don’t forget, ENJOY!
Best Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 8×8 baking pan my favorite here!
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar packed
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour spoon & leveled
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- flakey sea salt for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- On the stovetop or in the microwave, melt butter completely and let cool until room temperature or warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk or rubber spatula, mix together the melted butter and brown sugar until incorporated. Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. You just want to make sure the butter is cool enough so it won't heat the egg!
- Next, pour in the flour, baking powder, and sea salt and mix until well combined using a rubber spatula.
- Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated. Reserve a few for topping!
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt. Let cool completely. Slice and enjoy!